Saturday, July 11, 2020

J.D., Linda, And Prayer



If this seems like a broken record over the last several weeks, it probably is. I've mentioned my former student/basketball manager/one of my most favorite people in the world, Jenny Haynes Parish, made me a ten volume CD set called Coach Hawley's Groovy Tunes and she knows my musical tastes! That brings me to the ninth selection/Volume 1. My latest obsession is J.D. Souther's You're Only Lonely. Years ago, I wrote a blog about Roy Orbison and his gut wrenching hit, Only The Lonely. I've long figured there was a connection between the two- both Souther and Orbison were Texans- but apparently, there isn't. Orbison's classic was autobiographical while Souther's masterpiece was inspired, in his own words, by a beautiful woman who was insecure about being alone. Many have long assumed she was Linda Ronstadt who worked with J.D. He wrote a number of hits for The Eagles and was even  offered the chance to join the band but that never came about. In 1979, Souther was working on an album with producer Waddy Wachtel who asked if he had a faster, single type song to add to the mix. Souther had written You're Only Lonely several years ago and mentioned it but argued it was flawed; it lacked a bridge, a chorus, and a third verse. After hearing the song, Wachtel told him to just sing the first verse again at the end and the rest is history. It made it to # 7 on Billboard and spent five weeks at # 1 on the Adult Contemporary charts. Too bad it was such a flawed piece of work!

Assuming the song's object was indeed Ms. Ronstadt, I find the lyrics fascinating. Why would anyone as famous/gorgeous/talented as Linda deal with loneliness? The same reason all of us do. The first verse goes like this:
When the world is ready to fall on your little shoulders,
And when you're feeling lonely and small,
You need somebody there to hold you.
You can call out my name... When you're only lonely,
Now, don't you ever be ashamed, you're only lonely,

J.D., which stands for John David, captured the essence of the human condition. We are social creatures with a deep need for companionship. I've only rarely felt what I consider true loneliness but I can see where it could be debilitating. J.D. was offering himself as a willing listener when there was no one else to talk to. But the Bible offers an even better solution to our feeling of being forgotten! Check out these words of consolation!
Psalm 91:15 
When he calls to me, I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will rescue him and honor him.
Psalm 50:15 And call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you shall glorify me.”
Isaiah 65:24 Before they call I will answer; while they are yet speaking I will hear.
Psalm 91:14-16 “Because he holds fast to me in love, I will deliver him; I will protect him, because he knows my name. When he calls to me, I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will rescue him and honor him. With long life I will satisfy him and show him my salvation.”
What's even better is that Jesus tells us in Luke 18:7 that God will act on the behalf of His chosen ones who cry out to Him day and night. He is always there ready to listen; when we are in despair or ashamed or frightened and yes, lonely. My guess is J.D. likely wrote his lyrics to impress the girl of his dreams; guys have been know to do that kind of thing. But our God? He just loves us, even when we are ugly and guilt ridden. He has no reason to impress us- He is the Creator of the universe. And still, He wants us to call out His name for every reason and for no reason. There is no greater  love.


To listen to J.D. Souther perform You're Only Lonely, click or copy/paste the link below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quglprlSQ8k

Applicable quote of the day:
Maybe true love isn't out there for me, but I can sublimate my loneliness with the notion that true love is out there for someone.
Roxane Gay

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

E-mail me at shawley@westburychristian.org

No comments: