Sunday, July 12, 2020

Febreze Day





It may not make sense to you but once a year, we celebrate Febreze Day in Room 258. Read below, from February 17, 2006 to find out more! (PS: If you know someone at Hallmark who could market this for me, I could make a killing!)


It's not on the calendar as a national holiday but today is Febreze Day. It would be more properly referred to as a regional holiday. There is no exchanging gifts, no sending cards, banks remain open, and mail is delivered. Actually, it is only celebrated in Room 258, Westbury Christian School. To the uninitiated, Febreze is a fabric deodorizer but that doesn't do it justice. It's one of the best smells I've encountered. (#1: Red Door Perfume. #2: Steak on an outside grill.) It's a long story how my life was changed by this Procter & Gamble product so I'll give you the short version. In 1998, I loaned my Aerostar Van to co-workers Wes and Rachel Hanson for several months after their car was totaled. The Hansons were proud parents of identical infants, Eric and Andrew. As you know from watching CSI, we leave traces of ourselves wherever we go. Andrew and Eric, typical baby boys, left lots of traces. When the van came back to me, it was scrubbed and the carpet/seats were soaked with Febreze. I asked Rachel what that Eden-like aroma was and she told me. I informed her that if they gave me a birthday present, all I wanted was a bottle of Febreze. She remembered. When my birthday rolled around, Rachel called me to her receptionist's desk and presented me with the bottle. We were studying the hymn Footprints Of Jesus in my classes at the time. It seemed logical to use the Febreze as a teaching tool. On my birthday, I sprayed my students' feet with Febreze. Everywhere they went for the remainder of the day, they left a great scent behind as evidence of their presence. (I wonder if Gil Grissom can detect DNA from Febreze on footwear?) Febreze Day, from that humble beginning, has evolved into an extravaganza which students anticipate and plan their year around.

There are many applications to make with the kids on this special holiday. Paul told the Corinth Christians that 'we are the aroma of Christ.' (2 Corinthians 2:15) Peter wrote that Jesus left us an example that we 'should follow in his steps.' (1 Peter 2:21) Do you know people who make everything they participate in worse? I had a girl who played high school basketball for me. She caused major headaches for the group as a whole. I didn't realize she was the source until she departed. When she left, conflicts abated immediately. On the other hand, there are those who make every situation they become involved with better. They change the atmosphere and dynamics of the group instantly in a positive way. The difference between the types of people is like the contrast between those who step in dog doodoo and those who have their shoes saturated with Febreze. Which do you want to walk into your living room? Which kind of person am I? We will be the smell of death or life in a world which desperately needs the scent of the Savior. The choice is ours... and we don't even have to wait for a special holiday.

Applicable quote of the day:
"Did you know that babies are nauseated by the smell of a clean shirt?"
Jeff Foxworthy

God bless,
Steve (Founder and Chief Historian of Febreze Day)
Luke 18:1

E-mail me at shawley@westburychristian.org

No comments: