Wednesday, April 15, 2015

The Young Men And Women In the Mirror 2015, Scene VI


 We worked on one of my favorite assignments in our classes last week. Back in October, one of our written memory verses was James 1:22-24:
"Do not merely listen to the word and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.''
We discussed the meaning and I brought up that Mom, in her late stages of Alzheimer's, did not recognize her own image. I told the kids that sometimes at the end of the day, I look at myself in the mirror, and don't always like what I see. The kids finished this statement: 'When I look in the mirror, I see....' Every student was allowed complete confidentiality and I did not even read any that requested privacy. My students were very honest. Over the next few nights, I'll run some of the responses of those who wanted to share.  Some will choke you up. All are used by permission. Boys are in blue and girls are in pink.

When I  look in the mirror, I see a strong, confident young women bursting with ideas for success. I see someone who is certain of herself and her morals. I also see someone who tends not to see themselves as others see her. Others see her as passionate, dedicated, and driven. I see a person struggling to reach their ordained success, despite their constant self-inflictions or trouble. I see a woman who will make her own and still be humble enough to admit it only came from God. I see a P31 women clothed with strength and dignity and can laugh at the days to come. – N

When I look in the mirror, I see a girl whose eyes tell a story that her mouth won’t. I see a girl who was lost spiritually but is found by the works of God. I see a girl who keeps to herself so that no one would consider her as a burden and a failure. I see a girl who has a dark past but knows that the dark brought her to the light. I see a girl who always has a wall between her and other people. I see a girl that never expects anything because she is used to disappointments. I see a girl who is confused as to how she is supposed to lead her life when her path is carved out for her. I see a girl who knows who she is but doesn’t know if that perception is truly right. I see my enemy but I also she knows God can work within me to defeat all the negative. I see someone who is compassionate towards others. I see a girl who would sacrifice her life for her family. I see a girl who loves, trusts, and believe her friends are live her family for she knows that a bond between family cannot be broken until something is done to it. I see a girl who has many brothers and sisters in Christ and is not alone anymore. I see a girl who indulges herself in music so that the lyrics will comfort her. I see a girl who is trying to change for the better. – L

When I look in the mirror, I see an attractive young man who is strong and courageous. I see a young man who is insecure at times and it rubs off sometimes in his relationships in life. I see someone that holds how he feels in and doesn’t let it out because he doesn’t know if people will care. But on the bright side I see a young athlete who will go on to more in life. I see someone who will do anything to please or help people. I see a tall, strong, young man who deeply cares about the ones around him. – J

When I look in the mirror, I see a young lady who is bold and will take risks to get to the next level. However through her faults she is insecure about some answers. I see someone who once was not in her own melanin skin and awkward body, but knows she walks with pride and confidence in who she is. She wonders about her future and what God really wants for her to pursue, but she understands that He will never leave her nor forsake her. She is thankful for God everyday that she is alive and healthy with a loving family. This girl is nice to everyone, but needs to create a thicker skin for the enemies who take her kindness for weakness. – M

In the mirror of me, I think I’m not strong enough, I need to work harder and have confidence enough to do something. I need to believe in myself more. There might be a reflection of the guy saying, Hey, this guy is studying hard enough- you need to work harder. Hey, it is not too hard- training requires more effort. – L

When I look in the mirror, I see a girl who is wildly insecure. I see a girl who talks too much about topics that are unimportant because she doesn’t think anyone would listen to her thoughts on important topics. I see a girl who has a beautiful voice, but who has let fears get in the way of her dreams, so she has changed her career path. I see a girl who’s been hurt deeply in the past, who has to remind herself of her worth everyday. I see a girl who is beautiful, and who has a lot going for her. – C

I am not sure what I see. For what I see I cannot understand. I only know what others see in me. I do have self worth and self-esteem but this is not because of what I see in a mirror but what I see in scripture. What I do understand is that I am fearfully and wonderfully made in the image of God. I am at peace with my confusion because my confusion has led me to understand it’s not what I see myself as or how others see me, it’s how I am held in the hands of the almighty God, Himself. I am blessed and I am cursed. However, the curse will be broken and the blessings will multiply. My being is rooted in the wisdom and strength of God, not a mirror. - J

Applicable quote of the day:
 Who sees the human face correctly: the photographer, the mirror, or the painter?

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
ww.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: