Thursday, April 16, 2015

Clarifying Success


This past Monday, I introduced my Gospels classes to German theologian Dietrich Bonhoeffer through a five minute documentary produced by a group called Men Stepping Up. Not one of the kids had ever heard of  Bonhoeffer, the author of The Cost Of Discipleship. On their website, I found a number of other short videos which I think are excellent, including one posted here. It asked a number of men their opinions on the definition of a successful life. Why don't you spend three minutes and take a look?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYwUlLtCmBg


As the bonus question on their quizzes the following day, the students were asked what would make their lives a success. Here are some responses, used by permission:


Being successful to me is when I wake up knowing I have nothing to worry about. The point of happiness and pure joy is knowing all the people you love are okay. I am not sure yet but I'll know when I get there. -Seye

Success to me is living out everything my Father in Heaven set out for me. This means making the world a better place by spreading His love, joy, and peace, using the talents He has given me. It means always trying to stay joyful and being peaceful, never giving up. It mean having an amazing family who loves Jesus and keeping them close. Success is not about things you have accomplished- it's about looking back and saying I would change nothing and having no regrets because in this life we are always going to make mistakes. In the end, I just want to say I was joyful and worshipped God. -Wendy

A successful life to me would be a life in which I accomplish the feats I set out for myself and living my life in the way God desires. Success is not necessarily measured by the world's standards or those around me but by the way God envisions my life and my following the plan He has for me. -Sheyi

A successful life to me would be to leave my mark on the world. It would not be for recognition but because God gave the ability while I follow those dreams. -Xavier

I believe that a successful life is doing my best daily to glorify and serve God with all that He has blessed me with. Living a successful life would mean that when I die, I will hear the words, "Well done, my good and faithful servant!" -Chloe' S.

I think a successful life would include having a job I love, being happy and content, having children and raising them correctly, a loving husband, AND a lot of vacations! -Jasmine

I think success is defined as your own personal outlook but in my case, it is living regret free and not tearing down the expectations others have for me. -Justin W.

Success is when the goals you have set for yourself, whether it be from a spiritual, monetary, materialistic, career, family, or any other viewpoint are achieved. If you are happy in that, then you are successful. -Sidnee


Success is not about materials but it is about yourself, your spiritual stuff. You do not have to worry about anything . You have done what you want. You got what you want. You made others happy. -Kishi

Applicable quote for the day:
Things work out best for those who make the best of how things work out. 

John Wooden

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com



No comments: