Tuesday, April 14, 2015

The Young Men And Women In the Mirror 2015, Scene V




We worked on one of my favorite assignments in our classes last week. Back in October, one of our written memory verses was James 1:22-24:
"Do not merely listen to the word and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.''

We discussed the meaning and I brought up that Mom, in her late stages of Alzheimer's, did not recognize her own image. I told the kids that sometimes at the end of the day, I look at myself in the mirror, and don't always like what I see. The kids finished this statement: 'When I look in the mirror, I see....' Every student was allowed complete confidentiality and I did not even read any that requested privacy. My students were very honest. Over the next few nights, I'll run some of the responses of those who wanted to share.  Some will choke you up. All are used by permission. Boys are in blue and girls are in pink.

When I look in the mirror, I see someone with great expectations and someone who strives for perfection but never reaches it. I see insecurities and doubts that motivate me to work harder and become better. However, God sees me as His child and does not see me for my actions but instead what His Son did. I also see a hopefully bright future.  – T

When I look in the mirror, I see a girl who’s trying to keep it together. I see someone who struggles with not feeling good enough, but continues to persevere. I see someone who tries to look for the good in people, and trust everyone, even when I feel like I shouldn’t. When I look in the mirror, I see someone who needs a friend. When I look in the mirror I see someone who needs to stop worrying, and instead have greater faith.  – M

When I look in the mirror, I see a young woman who’s filled with anxiety about the future. People asking about where I’ll go to college or what career path I want to pursue. I lie about what I want to do to just shut them up. Everyone around me is driven and knows who they want to be. But I also see a little girl who has a sense of curiosity and optimism. I believe that will end up where I want to be even though I don't know how to get there.  – S

When I look in the mirror, I see a guy with zero regrets. I see a guy who is confident in his own skin and doesn’t let the thoughts of a sheep affect a lion. I see an athlete with many flaws who strives for perfection. I see someone who gets mad over little things and wants to be perfect all the time. I see a guy who cares for others and their feelings. And most importantly, I see a follower of Jesus. - G

When I look in the mirror, I see a girl who has come a long way. I see a girl who, this time last year, lived in a very confusing and sinful manner but is very happy that God intervened and helped her turn around. I see a girl who once struggled in school and has worked very hard to be where she’s today. I see a girl who despite many flaws still struggles with pride. I see a girl with a lot of regrets but who is also proud of what she has overcome.  – A

When I look in the mirror, I don’t see what everyone else seems to see. Everyone always tells me I so smart and pretty, and I know that however I cannot seem to emit that in my reflection. I see a girl who knows a lot but believes little, and whose  doubts and fears about the extremities of life might lead her to regret. Overall, I see a girl with so many uncertainties that she no longer regards them so she rides on with the naïve assumption that she will end up fine. She is oddly okay with her blurry and possibly fearful future. – K

When I look in the mirror, I see a girl with long straight hair. I see a girl who is not afraid of challenges she faces in life. I see a girl who is so blessed that she has a loving family and many friends. I also see a girl who is willing to try her best to help as many people as she can. I see a girl who sometimes struggles with understanding and forgiving others. I see a girl who is afraid of violence and conflicts. – G

When I look at my reflection, I see a young woman who is trying to be patient and wise. I see a calm, bold, protective nature affected by hurtful people and trials of faith. I see a girl who “chases her tail” in a cycle of sin, forgiveness, and repentance. I see a young woman who does not always feel worthy to be called “a child of God” but tries her best to donate her heart to God (as He has fixed my own heart, physically, and spiritually.) - A


Applicable quote of the day:
“There is nothing worse for the lying soul than the mirror of reality.” 
 Steve Maraboli

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1 

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: