Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Bedtime Blessings Chapter II

We began working on one of my favorite memory verses in all five classes last week. All of my 100+ students wrote The Blessing Of Aaron for a grade as a memory verse and repeated it on their test. Found in Numbers 6:24-26, God commanded the first high priest of Israel to use these words to bless his chosen people:"The Lord bless you and keep you;
the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you;
the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace."


We spoke of the human need for approval and how parents can have such an effect on the self-worth of their children. We talked of bedtime rituals and how moms and dads can make their kids feel important and ease their fears. I told them about how our folks tucked us in when we were small, prayed with us, and kissed us good-night. With that discussion as background, I gave each student a sheet of paper and had them pen a bedtime blessing to the child they will bring into the world in future years. The next several nights, I'll let some of them speak for me. Boys are in blue, girls in pink, and all are used with permission.


You live in an uneasy world. You worry about a lot and it gets more and more when you get older. So please, tell me about your problem; you will find the problem is hard, but with my advice and care, you may feel better and you will go over it. Just like what I did when I’m young. Parents are your best friends forever. They will not hurt you. So understand me and respect me. I will help you have a wonderful and successful life, but don’t let me control your life . I’m your friend, not your master.
                                                                                        -Rita Zhao
 
My dear sweet little b-baller, Everyday there will be a struggle you face but with that struggle come more faith in God to get you through. I will always be there for you. God has blessed me with you so that I shall teach you the way of our Lord and Savior. He died for our sins and continues to forgive still. Never lose faith my child, God will always love you. Today has ended so rest your eyes and fall asleep- may God bless you with another day to praise his wonderful name.
                                                                                            -Tyra Cormier
 
Sleep well my son. May God bless you and keep you and shine his light upon you. God loves you and He will always no matter what you will ever do in your life. May God bless you for the good and help you with the bad things you have done. And let God forgive you of all your sins. May you be kind to others and show God's graciousness upon them and your family and they may find Jesus in their heart. And, forgive them of their sins.
                                                                                            -Alex Peters
 
Sleep well, my dear child. May you be protected from the evil in the world. May the Lord be with you when I’m not there to protect you. May you grow up to be big and strong. I will love you forever and ever. May the Lord bless you and keep you all the days of your life. Goodnight, and always remember I love you!
                                                                                            -Kevin Taylor-Jarrell III

Family moments! Above, Mom, me, Dave, Dad wading in Lake Michigan.
Below: Dave is emotional, me waving at Santa, with Mom and Dad around the Christmas tree!


My dear son, I will love you always. You will be guided and strengthened under the power of God. You will be protected under my wings and carry on the works of God. Every time I see you or pick you up, I smile because I know that God has blessed me with something fascinating. Sweet dreams and goodnight as I pass my wisdom and talent on to you.
                                                                                            -Kase Carrera
 
Sleep, my little angel; let God’s light shine upon you. Your father and I will always be there for you. Even when we are not there, God is with you. When you grow up, be respectful, have a great husband, and be a good Christian. Mommy will always be there for you through the good times and bad. No matter what brings you down, God will bring you back up. One more thing; I will always love you. Good night, Laura. God will let you see another day. Love, Mom.
                                                                                            -Eme Offiong
 
O child of mine, given to me by the Lord, how I love you so. Be blessed child of mine for the Lord loves you. Find strength in the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Know that even when I pass into the next life, I will be watching over you. May you be blessed when you are righteous and corrected when you stray from God’s path. Through Christ you are saved so by Christ I pray that you live. I will always love you, O child of Mine.
                                                                                            -Jack McNamara

My child, I love you with all of my heart. I want you to know from the start that your mother is not perfect nor do I aim to be. There will be times you put your faith and trust in other people. In the end, there will be disappointments. Even so, be strong and learn from them. Choose your friends wisely. I want your life to come with obstacles so that you can grow from the experiences. I want you to grow up to be the child God intended you to be. I understand that you may hate me for awhile in the future but do not turn away from me. I want you to know, my child, that I carry your burdens, pains, and sufferings with you and for you. You are my light. There will be times you regret the decisions that you've made- grow and learn from your mistakes. May you grow tall like your father and healthy like your mother. Have a good life with the people you love and remain with the people who make you the happiest. With love, your mother.
                                                                                            -Lyanne Velasquez

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: