Monday, October 28, 2013

Bedtime Blessings


From left: me, Mom, Dad, Dave
We began working on one of my favorite memory verses in all five classes last week. All of my 100+ students wrote The Blessing Of Aaron for a grade as a memory verse and repeated it on their test. Found in Numbers 6:24-26, God commanded the first high priest of Israel to use these words to bless his chosen people:

"The Lord bless you and keep you;
the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you;
the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace."


We spoke of the human need for approval and how parents can have such an effect on the self-worth of their children. We talked of bedtime rituals and how moms and dads can make their kids feel important and ease their fears. I told them about how our folks tucked us in when we were small, prayed with us, and kissed us good-night. With that discussion as background, I gave each student a sheet of paper and had them pen a bedtime blessing to the child they will bring into the world in future years. The next several nights, I'll let some of them speak for me. Boys are in blue, girls in pink, and all are used with permission!


My sweet beautiful angel; have a good night's rest and do not fear anything, for God is watching over you. Daddy and I will always and forever love you with all our hearts. Sleep tight, and wake up with a beautiful smile because God has blessed another day for my perfect little girl to live her life.
-Marissa Banfield

Dear child, in a time of darkness, few things bring the light..... but you will. You will persevere through life’s trials and tests. You will embody hope in a land of none; you will change lives for the better. You will be the best that you can, but if you don’t, I will be there to help you when you fall. I will be there to give support and when the future seems bleak, I will still be there. Through the lowest and highest, your loving family will always be there, but most importantly, God will be there.
-Garrett Switzer

My dear son, may the Lord’s light guide you in the darkness; May the Lord strengthen your soul with purity; May the Lord keep evil away from you; May the peace, mercy and blessings of the Lord be upon you. May the Lord always lead you to the right path and make you a righteous man. Amen.
-Naila Dar

Goodnight my boy; I love you. Remember this for I will say it day by day. I will teach you the ways of our Father. Forgive your enemies and know that we must love everyone. As the days pass by, know that you get better and better and won’t be beaten. If there’s a monster under your bed or in your closet, you can come to my arms and I will protect you. I can’t stress enough the love I have for you even when I’m not here. Goodnight, my sweet prince; I love you and may the Lord protect and keep you.
-Joshua Power

Dear beautiful daughter; I pray that God keeps you safe and protected. I pray that you always know to go to Him in prayer whenever you need Him and that I am here too. I pray that you grow in beauty and stature, wisdom and grace. I pray you always know that God will never leave you nor forsake you in any kind of situations. I love you always. Sweet dreams, Princess. Love, Mommy.
-Roseline Akwarandu

Hello my child. You have embarked on the journey we call life. Life is tough. There will be hardships and pain, trial and tribulations, but trust in your Father for He is Almighty and powerful. This world will push you to be something you might not want to be. Stay strong for you have a connection with the maker of your enemies; if He made them, He can sure enough take them away. I am your earthly father. At times, you will not love me or trust me like you do God. Sometimes I may not be the best and I won’t live up to the “hype” but I will do the best I can so give me time. I love you with all my heart. Sleep well my child. Pray that God will wake you in the morning. Rest well- morning is approaching.
-Kevin Daniels

This time, tonight is the only time I may not be there, but that does not mean no one is with you. God Almighty, who loves you even more than I do, is going to be there by your side. I love you more than you could imagine- now think of how God loves you if He loves you more. I will be there in the day as your great light, but the greatest light will be there with you at night to turn that darkness in your eyes to light in your heart. Sleep well my child and remember you are a star in my eyes, but a thousand stars in God’s eyes. Love you until I join who loves you more.
-Danita Akunna

Goodnight, my sweet princess. I will be with you, even when you meet that one. Spiritually and physically, I will stand by, watching you grow. You will know me with your love and faith in God. Don’t cry, for God will give you peace. So, may the Lord bless you and keep you and His plan for you will make you into a marvelous flower. I love you. Goodnight and sleep tight.
-Justin Curtis

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: