Friday, December 07, 2012

Mirror Reflections VI



The memory verse we learned last Tuesday in all five of my classes was James 1:22-24:
"Do not merely listen to the word and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.''
We discuss the meaning and I bring up that Mom, in her late stages of Alzheimer's, did not recognize her own image. I tell the kids that sometimes at the end of the day, I look at myself in the mirror, and don't always like what I see. The kids finished this statement: 'When I look in the mirror, I see....' Every student is allowed complete confidentiality and some years, I do not even read any that request privacy. My students are very honest; some of their reflections will choke you up as you see yourself during your teenage years. Over the next few nights, I'll run some of the responses of those who were willing to share; boys are in blue and girls are in pink. These will be a mixture of 8th graders-freshmen-sophomores-juniors-seniors.

When I look in the mirror see a young African-American man striving for greatness. I see a young man who has many flaws and has many sins, and will commit many more. I see a child of God, I see someone who is striving to be like his father, and someone who also does the will of God.
                                    -S

When I look in the mirror, I see a girl who was given a second chance, a girl who stands up for God’s way.  I see a girl who separates herself from the crowd to be safe. I also see a girl who loves two things but doesn’t know which way to go, so I guess I see a girl who can’t make up her mind. I see a girl who is blessed and knows that she is the child of God. Over all, I see a girl who is staying strong in the cruel world she lives in.
                                    -D

When I look in the mirror I see potential and a hard working spirit. Sometimes I see shame but don’t think of it. I also see laziness but I have the strength to do many things in life. When I see myself, I see hope in my eyes because I have a dream and a goal in life I must achieve and many troubles I've had to over the years.
                                    -S

When I look at the mirror I see a young girl who tries to be strong. I see a girl who tries all her best in school, but who sometimes gives up. I see how my family is proud of me, but for me it is a hard decision on which path to take daily. She's trying her best to make good decisions, and planning her future. I see how I have Jesus who guides me...If I fall down, he picks me up. Sometimes you have to question yourself, when you have the answers in front of you.
                                    -E

When I look in the mirror I see a boy persuaded by the things of this world, or the short pleasure in life. He tries to do not only what is righteous, but what is expected of us, but always fall short. I see a boy who is engulfed in a shell of emotions and lies, and trying to break free from the person within. He is expected to do much, but cannot reach the expectations that have been placed on him by other people.
                                    -R

When I look in the mirror I see myself, unlike others who see my sister. I see a girl who is trying to prove her own worth. I see a girl who is often underestimated. I see an underdog, working, striving, hoping to get to the top. I see a girl who is often not taken seriously. I see a girl who may not be as smart as her sister, having to work harder to find success. I see  a girl who doesn’t have beautiful eyes like her sister, but trying to believe she is beautiful in every way. I see a girl who truly loves and admires her older sister but just wants to stop being compared to her.
                                    -N
When I look in the mirror, I see a boy who thinks he’s a man. His life is a roller coaster that he rides through the thick and thin. Through his life,  sometimes it goes off track and he struggles to get it back on. Though he sometimes goes through doubts in his life, he always tries to put his faith in God.
                                    -J


Applicable quote of the day:
I don't think I'm beautiful. When I look in the mirror, I just see me - and, I'm pretty used to me.

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: