Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Eighth Grade Blessings!


We began working on one of my favorite memory verses in all five classes last week. Last Friday, my sophomores and eighth graders wrote The Blessing Of Aaron for a grade. Found in Numbers 6:24-26, God commanded the first high priest of Israel to use these words to bless his chosen people:
"The Lord bless you and keep you;
the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you;
the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace."

We spoke of the human need for approval and how parents can have such an effect on the self-worth of their children. We talked of bedtime rituals and how moms and dads can make their kids feel important and ease their fears. I told them about how our folks tucked us in when we were small, prayed with us, and kissed us good-night. With that discussion as background, I gave each student a sheet of paper and had them pen a bedtime blessing to the child they will bring into the world in future years. The next several nights, I'll let some of these eighth graders speak for me. Boys are in blue, girls in pink, and all are used with permission!


Goodnight baby Carter. I love you so much and am grateful you are in my life. You are a handsome image of Jesus Christ himself. You are fearfully and wonderfully made. Stand up for what you believe in, even when times are tough- myself, God, and your father are always here. I will never leave or forsake you just as God our Father said Himself. Dream sweetly, my angel; with God there are no limits to what you can accomplish. I love you in good times and in bad. I may not always have answers but God does.  Words cannot express my love for you. Dream sweetly, my sweet prince. Mommy loves you.
                                    -Morgan Harris

Savannah,  my sweet, beautiful daughter. Your father and I love you so much. God loves you,  too. Remember that the Lord is always there. Dream good dreams- dreams of joy, happiness, love, and adventure. You’re my little princess... “Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up.” Love Mommy.
                                    -Sydney Valentine

My child, you have heard this before but I will say it again, like your grandpa did to me. Philippians 4:13 says, “I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me.” Just remember, you can even fly. All you have to do is do through Christ; in your dreams or in life, you can do it. You are all powerful with Christ. Remember this power comes with responsibility. So stay strong and wake with the armor of the Lord. I love you. Goodnight. Sleep tight and don’t let those bed bugs bite.
                                    -Justin Curtis

Dear sweet child; you are amazing to me and your father. I want you to know that we will always be here for you; always, no matter what. You are our dream come true and we will always be on your side. We won’t turn our backs on you. Goodnight, baby! I love you forever. Love Mommy.
                                    -Alex Story

Dearest Daniela. I want you to know how much I thank God for you everyday and will not sell or trade you for anything in the world. You’re smart, young, funny, sometimes a little arrogant, but I want to let you know that whatever you want to be, I’m behind you 110%. Don’t let anyone say you can’t. I know sometimes the world may seem hard on your shoulders but you, me, and God can take all that and share the weight. You’re a special star in the sky and every time you cry, I want you to know that God can wipe your eyes and take your tears away. Every time you sing in the mirror and dance, you are maturing, spiritually  and mentally. I will always be there.
                                    -Kennedy McFerren

Dear my boy; I will always love you. Come to me in hurt or in happiness! I will always be there for you, even though I am going to be hard on you; I want you to be tough. But I also want you to be smart. You are a child right now- I want you to be a Godly man. Walk like a man, talk like a man, and act like a man. In whatever you do, I want you to be blessed. I will always love you and you’re my one and only child. Your mother and I will always be here no matter what, even if we are mad. I need you to remember this: friends are for a little, but family is forever so always stay close to your family. Have a blessed night of sleep.
                                P.S. I love you.
                                    -Aijalon Knowles

My sweet little angel, I love you with all my heart. Know this: God will always be there for you when you have struggles in your life. Darling, you are a beautiful child of God. Dream about finding true love, peace, joy, and the glory of God. Be the best you can be but don’t forget to put in some hard work with that dream. Goodnight, my sweet child and let God wake you up in the morning.
                                    -Eme Offiong

My sweet baby; I love you so much more than any simple words on a piece of paper can tell. Your life is a blessing- never take it for granted. Find the people who will strengthen you in life. Let God lead you to the light. My heart is yours and you are mine. I will only give part of you away when you are married. You can always come to me for anything. As Walt Disney said, “All your dreams can come true, if you have the courage to pursue them.” Baby, never let someone ruin your day when you have so much to be happy and thankful about. Baby, I love you- never forget that! No matter what you do, you are my baby. I have dreamed about you since I was eight years old and now that I have you, I can stop dreaming and start living my dream. Shine your light and let the whole world see. The day you came into your father’s and my life was the greatest day ever! Live like Jesus and never stay mad. When life becomes difficult, remember: smile, love, hope, believe, shine, and share. My sweet child, I love you! Love, your mother.
                               -Maggie Frank


God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: