Thursday, October 25, 2012

Sophomore Blessings: Act III


We began working on one of my favorite memory verses in all five classes last week. Last Friday, my sophomores and eighth graders wrote The Blessing Of Aaron for a grade. Found in Numbers 6:24-26, God commanded the first high priest of Israel to use these words to bless his chosen people:
"The Lord bless you and keep you;
the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you;
the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace."

We spoke of the human need for approval and how parents can have such an effect on the self-worth of their children. We talked of bedtime rituals and how moms and dads can make their kids feel important and ease their fears. I told them about how our folks tucked us in when we were small, prayed with us, and kissed us good-night. With that discussion as background, I gave each student a sheet of paper and had them pen a bedtime blessing to the child they will bring into the world in future years. The next several nights, I'll let some of them speak for me. Boys are in blue, girls in pink, and all are used with permission!

You are my child and blessed are you in the eyes of God. I love you so much to the point where words cannot explain. Always know you can talk to me about anything and everything because I am pretty sure I have been through it all. When I argue with you, punish you, take all your electronics away, and even embarrass you by kissing you in front of all your friends, just know that it is all out of a mother’s love. Do not ever take anything you have for granted and always be kind, respectful, and strong even when you have your weakest moments. You are like a diamond. Precious to me, worth so much, and you will always shine in the darkness. Go through each day thanking God for waking you up because some can not even get out of bed. Your father and I have prayed for you, and we are waiting for your arrival. Love you, my little sweetheart. And always remember that your parents will love you, care for you, and defend you until the day you will leave this world.
-Cydney Stevenson

My dear child, when you’re lost and scared, think about me. Remember that I am here for you. When you look out on the horizon, remember all you’re meant to be. Remember everything this world holds and find the good in every evil, and if there is too strong an evil, look to yourself to destroy it because you are strong; my darling you are extremely strong with a good heart. And if you are ever lost, which my dear, you will be, look to your heart and you will see everything you need. Remember you have a great fate but know that no matter how hard it gets, life is so beautiful, my child, life is your gift---- do not destroy it. I love you, my child- don’t ever forget.
-Amara Nelson

My little princess, close your eyes and dream big. I will be here for you when you wake up. Don’t worry I will never leave you. Daddy and I love you very much. Those blue eyes and brown hair just make us thank the Lord that he gave us such a gift. Sometimes we think what did we do to receive such a blessing like this. But we remember he gave you to us to save us and keep us on the right path. We love you for that. Goodnight sweet angel. See you in the morning!

Mommy and Dad-
Valerie Lewis

Hey buddy, you will never understand until you are all grown up with a wife and children how much I love you and care for you. Whatever you want to be, you can be, and no matter what anyone says and no matter how much they try to bring you down, you will succeed with hard work, dedication, and God on your side. You can do all things through Christ, who strengthens you. Remember I am always here for you, and I want to let you know, you can come to me for anything, embarrassing or not. I was once your age and know what you’re going through. If you don’t want to come to me, God will always be there, even if I am not. He is only a prayer away. I love you so much, and no matter what, I will always be here for you.
Love,  Dad
-Jake Bedevian


Dear sweet child of mine; know that I am here in your best days and your darkest hour. Know that you are a child of God, put the Lord above all things; everything you do, do it to please Him. My dear sweet child, remember family will never leave you. The things that we say and do is always the best for you. One day we may not be here, but know that you are never alone. Never fall into the temptations of the wicked one- protect your mind from the enemies' attacks, and guard your heart with the word of God. I will always love you, forever and always,  my dear, sweet child.
Love,  Mommy
-Isabel Velez

Baird, know that you are all my pride, my accomplishment, and my gift. Know that you may not always make the right choices. Even so, as long as you see Him as the Father just as I do and just as you see his son, Jesus, you will always find your way back. Never go on your own; always count on the Father and his Son as a part of you. Stay strong and honorable and always strive for right in your life. We will be with you to keep you on the right path so that you never take into account that because sin is a part of all of our lives, you have permission to feel susceptible to it. I love you.
-Bryan Edwards

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: