Saturday, April 14, 2012

Through The Glass...The Sixth Sense




One memory verse we learn in all five of my classes is James 1:22-24:
"Do not merely listen to the word and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.''

We discuss the meaning and I bring up that Mom, in her late stages of Alzheimer's, did not recognize her own image. I tell the kids that sometimes at the end of the day, I look at myself in the mirror, and don't always like what I see. The kids finished this statement: 'When I look in the mirror, I see....' Every student is allowed complete confidentiality and some years, I do not even read any that request privacy. My students are very honest; some of their reflections will choke you up as you see yourself during your teenage years. Over the next few nights, I'll run some of the responses of those who were willing to share; boys are in blue and girls are in pink. These will be a mixture of 8th graders-sophomores-juniors-seniors.



When I look in the mirror, I see with a girl with a charming smile on her face. I can see she is confident and happy through her smile. I see a girl who is kind to her friends and family. I see a girl wearing a beautiful necklace, which the most important people in her life gave to her. I see a girl who is not that beautiful, but with a pure heart and spirit. I see a girl who likes smiling and communicating. I see a girl who loves God and does whatever is right and good in His eyes. I see a girl who is hard-working and diligent. I see a girl who likes music and traveling. I see a girl who loves life and all she has right now. I see a girl with hopes and dreams in her heart. -M


When I look in the mirror, I see a black, handsome young man with his dad's eyes and nose, and his mom's dimples.  I see a Christian; an athlete; a funny person. His jokes are always memorable. His shiny braces reflect in the mirror. I see a young man with a plethora of high expectations. I see a pastor's son. I see black waves in his hair. I see someone who confesses to the Lord for forgiveness and to his parents. I see someone who is always a joy to have around. I see someone who is almost too tall for the mirror. I see a young man who is a great brother, big and small. I see a gift from God. I see a sinful young man who tries so hard not to repeat his sins. I see a young man who never puts a girl above his family. I see a young man who has love for Nike and a passionate love for basketball. I see a young man who misses his first laughter and joy to the world, his grandma. I see brown eyes that are from his father. I see an ambitious young man who only fears God. -Z


When I look in the mirror, I see big, fluffy hair and diamond-shaped eyes. When I look in the mirror, I see a girl who has a great personality, but doesn't know it. I see a girl who is beautiful on the inside, but I on the outside there is nothing but ugly. I see a girl who has self-esteem so low that some days she is borderline depressed. I see a girl who wants to have so much confidence, but has no guidance on how to get it. The mirror displays a pretty smile, but hurt clinging on the inside. When I look in the mirror, I see a girl who prays to find herself and her talents. When I look in the mirror, I see a girl who doesn't really know who her friends are, and who is really there for her. I see a girl who loves God, but doesn't know how to really let Him know. I see a girl who that will make it in life despite all the obstacles. When I look inn the mirror, I see a girl that is misunderstood and her identity is sometime nonexistent. Even though this girl has a lot of flaws, I look past that and I see a girl who is going to be successful and make her family proud. -M


When I look in the mirror, I see a strong, growing young man of faith. I see a very smart and intelligent young man who doesn't put his all into everything he does. I see a young man who can do anything he puts his mind to and an athlete who strives to do his best in sports. I see someone who tries to do the right things and does not care what people think about him. I see a young man who lives his life with no worries.... Hakuna Matata. I see a young man who is honest with others and tries not to judge them on their appearance, someone who tries to turn the other cheek. When I look in the mirror, I see a young man of God. -R

When I look in the mirror, I see a girl who is not confident of her appearance but I also see that girl has grown up considerably and has grown confidence about her courage. That girl is no longer a passive girl who waits for her parents to tell her how to love. She is taking control of her life and taking courage in everything she's doing. Though she doesn't know what tomorrow is going to be, she knows she will not regret it no matter what happens. That girl once wished to be born under a lucky star; now she knows there is no such fate that was born with her because she owns her fate and she can change what was set in heaven. -M


When I look in the mirror, I see a guy struggling with the concentration and mental outlook required to reach the goals he's taken years to set for his life. I see a guy troubled by a new realization of certain possibilities and circumstances that come with the cycle of perseverance needed to live a successful life. I see a guy who feels both distant and lost at times and tries constantly to find solutions. I see a guy seeking and receiving help from God yet never completely at peace with himself. I see a guy whose daily issue is trying to hide his problems from everyone; anger, personal disarray, and exhaustion. -M


Applicable quote of the day:
 Who sees the human face correctly: the photographer, the mirror, or the painter?

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com


No comments: