Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Shoe Guy


Tonight, my devotional comes from fellow teacher/coach/Harding alum Nathan Wagner. Nathan ponders a situation that came up as he was buying shoes. His take is thought provoking!

Last night I went to Sports Authority to take advantage of a 25% discount to get a new pair of running shoes.  I'm particular about my running shoes, and while shopping typically bores me, I spend too much time browsing all my options when it comes to shoes.  I stripped off my old shoes and tried on several pairs last night, and in my lingering, another couple and salesman took over my seat and sprawl of samples.  I strolled shoe-less for awhile before finally meandering through their group to grab my old shoes.  As I was putting them on, the husband asked me if I was a runner.  

The answer to that question is a matter of definition, but I told him I did run some and how much.  Then he asked me, "What's a good running shoe?"  I knew that question was coming.  It's a tough question to answer because everyone is different--and it's a tougher question to answer when the salesman is standing right there with you and has just recommended a highly priced shoe.  I paused before answering, because often in human nature, this man was going to assume that I was an "expert" because I ran more than he did.  And there was a good chance that my answer would affect the shoe he purchased then and for the foreseeable future.  Which would impact his running. Which could in turn, impact several other things in his life.  My answer could impact the salesman who was either very helpful or looking for his commission.  My answer to his question was going to carry weight. 

Now, I may be exaggerating the significance of my answer some, but the situation got me thinking on the way to my car.  There are many people who I come in contact with that may only know/see me for a moment.  They may only see my Westbury Christian apparel or the sticker on my car.  And rightly or wrongly, they will judge not only me, but also my faith and Lord, based on my actions and words.  My running shoe encounter made me reflect on the other "answers" I give on a daily basis and the weight that those answers carry.  Peter must have had a similar thought when he reminds us to "live such good lives...that others may see our good deeds and glorify God" (1 Pe 2:12) and to  always have an "answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have" (1 Pe 3:15). 

And I did answer his question, but don't ask because everybody has different feet.
-Nathan

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com 

1 comment:

Steve Finnell said...

you are invited to follow my new blog