Thursday, April 19, 2012

Through The Glass...... Seventh Encore






One memory verse we learn in all five of my classes is James 1:22-24:
"Do not merely listen to the word and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.''

We discuss the meaning and I bring up that Mom, in her late stages of Alzheimer's, did not recognize her own image. I tell the kids that sometimes at the end of the day, I look at myself in the mirror, and don't always like what I see. The kids finished this statement: 'When I look in the mirror, I see....' Every student is allowed complete confidentiality and some years, I do not even read any that request privacy. My students are very honest; some of their reflections will choke you up as you see yourself during your teenage years. Over the next few nights, I'll run some of the responses of those who were willing to share; boys are in blue and girls are in pink. These will be a mixture of 8th graders-sophomores-juniors-seniors.



When I look in the mirror, I see a beautiful girl with many talents. But those talents aren't always used to their best capabilities. Many times I wake up in the morning , look in the mirror, and see a tired, yet totally happy girl. But, sometimes, I come back at night and see an unhappy girl due to the events that happened earlier that day. Sometimes, I see a student. Sometimes, I see a cheerleader. And sometimes, I see a girl running late to church. But all the time, I see a wonderful daughter, older sister, and magnificent girl of God. And this girl is me. -C


When I look in the mirror, I see God's workmanship covered with the fruits of the Spirit. I see a kind man who has a hard time staying on the narrow path. I see both sides of me. I see someone who is scared out of his mind, who is confused by the world. I see myself like no one else does. I have several different masks, but when none of them are on, no one recognizes me. When I look in the mirror, I ask myself, who are you? -W


When I look in the mirror, I see a girl who doesn't know what she wants in life. I see a girl who is weighed with people's expectations just because of her father's occupation. I see a girl who is rebellious against anything just to prove she is her own person. I see a girl who can destroy herself with one word. I see a girl who wants better for herself, but fails at achieving those goals. I see a girl who is lost in her procrastination. I see a girl who doesn't have the heart to distance herself from people who can ruin her. I see a girl who can't fill a void that is open. I see a girl who lets her anger control her until she is regretful for the wrong she has caused. I see a little girl in the mirror, always trying to find something, just anything that makes her happy. Then I realize that girl is me. -N


When I look in the mirror, I see a boy with a choice. I see a road that leads to the pretentious and strenuous task of following in his grandfather's footsteps of becoming a Nobleza. I see my mother's wishes to stay in America where I was born and ignore the land of my ancestors, and the responsibility of carrying an ancient family name with grace and leadership. I see a boy struggling with a decision left to him by the ones who gave birth to him, each pulling me to opposite sides. I see a boy trying to listen to God for help, but feeling like the answer is never coming. I see a boy who wants the best of both worlds, but is quickly losing both. I see a boy who, if he does not make his decision before his grandpa dies, will cause an entire side of his family legacy to be lost forever. -J


When I look in the mirror, I see a girl who laughs and smiles, but knows that happiness is sometimes fake. The girl I see has been wounded by all the nasty comments because of her hair color. I see a girl who is happy on the surface, but is broken and sad underneath. I see a girl who loves so easily and finds out that some of those who love her back really don't because they are using her or just playing around. I see a girl whose heart isn't for guys to play with, and then breaks as if it were a toy. I see a girl who moved and is still adjusting. I see a girl who won't open up to a lot of people. I see a girl who is outgoing but sometimes shy. I see a girl who looks weird and beautiful. I see a girl who might not be as pretty as other girls, but if you get to know her, she is sweet and caring and loving. I see a girl who is a child of God and loves God because He is her Father. -C


When I look in the mirror, I see a girl who has always tried to find the acceptance of others around her. I see a girl who is criticized for almost everything she does, and who never seems to be good enough in her mother's eyes. I see a young woman who is trying to constantly grow in her faith and relationship with God. I see a hopeless-romantic who gets drawn up into every kind of love story. I also see a high school girl who wonders what she will turn out to be. I see someone who is unsure of where life is going to take her, but wants to travel the world with her future family. I see someone who can get caught up in the bad things, even though she tries to fight the temptation. Most importantly, I see a world changer with a bright future. -A


Applicable quote of the day:"I stayed away from mirrors when I was younger and I didn't like having my picture taken. I was tall and had braces and felt ugly."
Kylie Bax



God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: