Friday, April 20, 2012

Through The Glass.... Journey # 8





One memory verse we learn in all five of my classes is James 1:22-24:
"Do not merely listen to the word and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.''

We discuss the meaning and I bring up that Mom, in her late stages of Alzheimer's, did not recognize her own image. I tell the kids that sometimes at the end of the day, I look at myself in the mirror, and don't always like what I see. The kids finished this statement: 'When I look in the mirror, I see....' Every student is allowed complete confidentiality and some years, I do not even read any that request privacy. My students are very honest; some of their reflections will choke you up as you see yourself during your teenage years. Over the next few nights, I'll run some of the responses of those who were willing to share; boys are in blue and girls are in pink. These will be a mixture of 8th graders-sophomores-juniors-seniors.

When I look in the mirror, I see a conservative girl who used to hold back from many things in life; a girl who worried too much about what others thought, and got her feelings hurt easily. Behind the outgoing persona and goofy smile is a girl masking her sensitive ways. But now, I see a girl who has grown for the better, a girl who is not afraid to try new things. I see a girl who exudes a new confidence, and a girl who doesn't care much about what others think of her, except for her heavenly Father. This reflection portrays a hard-working, competitive girl awaiting her next challenge. -A

When I look in the mirror, I always see the same young man with low self-esteem staring back at me. I see a young man who does not know where he is going in life. He has been lost in the past, but starting to become the man God called him to be. I see a young man who relies on God more and more each day, and is hoping to find himself. -M

When I look in the mirror, I see a girl who doesn't yet know where she is going in life but has an idea. I see a girl who speaks her mind and loves her loved ones. I see a pretty girl who has a lot more going for her than a normal person would. I see a girl who isn't afraid to be herself. I see a girl determined to be successful. I see a mixed girl with freckles on her cheeks. I see a girl who struggles at times being caught up in life. I see a girl who is destined to find her way to God. -T

When I look in the mirror, I see blue eyes looking back at me. I see a young man with the potential to succeed as far as he wants to go. I see a young man willing to push himself to any extent, and take risks necessary to get where he wants to go. I know this because I have seen him do just that, but when I look at that boy, I see a kid with blue eyes scared to fail and even more afraid to succeed. -D

When I look in the mirror, I see an insecure girl who people count on. She doubts herself too much, and drives people away. She knows God has big plans for her. She sees the bridge God put in front of her, but there is a lot of fog. She's scared of missing boards and going down the wrong side of the bridge. At night, she cries herself to sleep sometimes, and God is the only one she can talk to sometimes. She just needs someone to care. -L

When I look in the mirror, it's not what it seems. You think you see someone who is creative, outgoing, humorous, nice, good-looking, and smart. That is not the truth. Really what is seen is someone who has a deep void inside him. Someone who is alone, not cared for. Someone who hides his pain by telling jokes and laughing. Someone who is lied to, cheated out of many things, and abused. That is what I truly see. -P

Applicable quote of the day:
"I love mirrors. They let one pass through the surface of things."
Claude Chabrol

God bless,
Steve

Luke 18:1
www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this memory verse. Easter weekend I participated in Lads to Leaders and was a participant in Bible Bowl. James was one of the books we studied for the oral test and when we studied this stood out to me. I have looked at myself before and saw a beautiful girl and a great student getting ready for school but as soon as I left I completely forgot about all that because during the day I would say to myself you can do better,etc. These verses help a lot when you think about them all day through everything. When I feel like I forget what I saw in the mirror that morning I go back to the mirror and I repeat what I said that morning about being beautiful, great student, and that I have so much potential. I also think to myself that "I am what I am."
I hope everything is going well this year:)