Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Through The Glass....The Ninth Glance




One memory verse we learn in all five of my classes is James 1:22-24:
"Do not merely listen to the word and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.''

We discuss the meaning and I bring up that Mom, in her late stages of Alzheimer's, did not recognize her own image. I tell the kids that sometimes at the end of the day, I look at myself in the mirror, and don't always like what I see. The kids finished this statement: 'When I look in the mirror, I see....' Every student is allowed complete confidentiality and some years, I do not even read any that request privacy. My students are very honest; some of their reflections will choke you up as you see yourself during your teenage years. Over the next few nights, I'll run some of the responses of those who were willing to share; boys are in blue and girls are in pink. These will be a mixture of 8th graders-sophomores-juniors-seniors.



When I look in the mirror, I see a young girl who is trying to be someone else. She can never be herself because she is afraid of what her parents will say, or do. I see a girl who watches the news and sees the disturbing and corrupt things in the world, wondering what will happen to her in the world. How will she do on her own? What should she do when she sees someone suspicious? What has God planned out for her that she can only handle? When I look in the mirror, I see a girl who is afraid of what the future has for her. Although, knowing that God will be with her the entire time, she should just let go of all the fear and insecurities, and lift her hands to the Lord and rejoice. "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again, Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all." -M


When I look in the mirror, I see a young man trying to find himself. I see a guy who everyone knows, yet is misunderstood. When I look in the mirror, I see a young man who has his whole life set out for him, but doesn't know exactly what he wants in life. When I look in the mirror, I see a boy who wants everyone to love him, yet feels lonely. I see a young boy who has great motivation when someone is pushing him, but has no self-motivation. I see a young man who has the intelligence of a political leader, but does not reach his full potential because he is confused in life. When I look in the mirror, I see a young man who wants to be successful, but won't go get it for himself. When I look in the mirror, I see a young man who loves God, his family, and everyone else, but can't seem to find time to make himself become the young man everyone sees him becoming. I see a young man who will pursue his dreams in life and won't let anyone come between him reaching his goals. When I look in the mirror, I see a young man who has everyone around for him to become the person he wants to become. -D


When I look in the mirror, I see a girl with imperfections and insecurities about herself. I see a girl who is afraid of being hurt or hurting others. I see a girl who has regrets and mistakes. I see a girl who doesn't believe in herself. I see a girl who works hard to improve these things. I also see a girl who puts a smile through her face through out the day. I see a girl that puts others first. I see a girl who loves sports. I see a girl who wants to relieve her stress. I see that God has brought a girl into the world just to love everyone she cares for. I see a girl that is thankful for her life. When I look in the mirror, I just see me and I am proud of that. -D


When I look in the mirror, I see a young man who has strayed away from his values and beliefs. I see a person who has been trying to fit in with the crowd. I see a person who is a coward and hides from his own faith. If his real parents were to come look at him, they would probably be ashamed. But when I look really hard in the mirror, I see the real me--the truth. I see a son of Jesus Christ. I see a person who's real identity can't be taken away from him. -D


When I look in the mirror, I see a young woman, capable of much more than people think. I see courage, yet at the same time, fear. I see a girl who's insecurities are much more powerful than her own will. I see an immature person, who only wants to be accepted by others. I see a girl who is referred to as #4. I see Christ, and a sinner in the same body. I see a flimsy, unfinished young lady who works so hard just to be counted. Over all these, I see a beautiful girl who's dreams will never fade through the power of Jesus Christ. -K


When I look in the mirror, I see a shy boy who can't say his opinion. I see the shy inside of him. He was in the box, and he is trying to escape from it. Sometimes, his foot is already outside, but for some reason, he stepped back in and had to start all over again. I also see the bad inside of him that was growing up, but it is also trapped inside the box; the box of education and good environment to stop it. The box keeps him struggling. It makes him silent and always act like he doesn't care. He always dreams about a brighter future, so he is trying to get an education so he can be brave in the future. -J


Applicable quote of the day:
"Behavior is the mirror in which everyone shows their image."
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe



God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: