Thursday, April 26, 2012

Through The Glass....Peek # 10






One memory verse we learn in all five of my classes is James 1:22-24:
"Do not merely listen to the word and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.''

We discuss the meaning and I bring up that Mom, in her late stages of Alzheimer's, did not recognize her own image. I tell the kids that sometimes at the end of the day, I look at myself in the mirror, and don't always like what I see. The kids finished this statement: 'When I look in the mirror, I see....' Every student is allowed complete confidentiality and some years, I do not even read any that request privacy. My students are very honest; some of their reflections will choke you up as you see yourself during your teenage years. Over the next few nights, I'll run some of the responses of those who were willing to share; boys are in blue and girls are in pink. These will be a mixture of 8th graders-sophomores-juniors-seniors.



When I look in the mirror, I see my parents telling me I am a bright young man. I see my grades that are not so good. Also, when I look in the mirror, I see my brother. I ask myself, "Do I want to be like him? Thirty-years old, no education, barely holding onto a job?" I see success and failure. I see an athlete and a lazy person. When I look in the mirror, I see a nice haircut--Mohawk! -N


When I look in the mirror, I see someone who falls short of the expectations I have for myself. I see someone who can work harder and be a better person, yet has a hard time doing so. Sometimes, I see a beautiful girl with a bright future, but other times I see someone constantly pointing out her own flaws and insecurities. When I look in the mirror, I see a smile that hides a lot. I see someone few people truly know. I see a girl who is looking forward to what God has in store for her. -C


When I look in the mirror, I see someone who is ugly but doesn't care. I see someone who loves having fun. I see someone who loves basketball. I see someone who loves God. I see someone who doesn't let his emotions show. I see someone who doesn't like tho think about things that are sad. When I look in the mirror, I see a young, God-loving boy. -E


When I look in the mirror, I see a young woman who is having a hard time. But she doesn't stop right there; when she has an issue, she always tries her best to smile and find the best way to help herself out of the issue. She is not very good-looking, but when she smiles, everyone likes it and says it is the brightest smile they have ever seen. She is shy and a quiet person who likes to keep to herself. But when she sees someone who is in trouble, she really wants to help them as much as she can. She loves her family, parents, brother, and sister. I see someone who prays to God every night. When I look in the mirror, I see a girl who hopes for strength and happiness. -T


When I look in the mirror, I see a boy who is very confident, but sometimes cares what people think. I see a person who cares about others, and always wants to do the right thing even if there are terrible consequences. I see a person who tries to do his best in whatever he does, but sometimes struggles with doing homework. I see a boy who wants to go far in the world of sports and strives to be great. When I look in the mirror, I see someone who will try to do his best with all the power of God. -G


When I look in the mirror, I see a girl who has gone through hardships and struggles. She keeps it to herself because she doesn't want to burden anyone with her problems. I also see a girl with dedication and is always willing to improve. I see someone with great talents, but usually gets overlooked. When I look in the mirror, I see a girl who wants to make her mom proud, and wants her to see the successful life I have been working for. I see someone who is insecure and scared of being without her mom. -S


* picture courtesy of  http://www.guysglassandmirror.com/mirrors.php


Applicable quote of the day:
I have this phobia: I don't like mirrors. And I don't watch myself on television. If anything comes on, I make them shut it off, or I leave the room.
Pamela Anderson



God bless,
Steve

Luke 18:1
www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: