Monday, December 19, 2011

Come Back!



I'm in Wichita which is expecting heavy snow tomorrow. My niece, Meagan, is driving here in twenty-four hours from Oklahoma so I pray it does not affect her travels. Sally went to work this morning and Dave was out running errands so I turned on the television. With hundreds of selections to surf over, I locked onto a movie channel. The film showing was the all-time best Western, Shane. Even better, the scene was the lead in to the best fight scene ever when Shane and farmer Joe Starrett fight off a whole band of cattlemen in a bar. Even though I've watched the mvie at least twenty times, I had to finish the fracas. Even though I knew how it ended, I wanted the satisfaction of good triumphing over evil with Starrett's little boy, Joey, watching in rapt fascination. Do you know why I love Shane? Because right and wrong is clear cut. Because good and bad are easily defined. Because even though the heroes are flawed, they're still heroes. Today, it seems almost everything is complicated and shaded and skewed and I get weary trying to sort it all out. That's why three words we could stand hearing more of are the famous last words of this classic movie:
"Come back, Shane!"


Applicable quote of the day:
"There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley."
Shane (Alan Ladd)


Please take three minutes and watch a wonderful clip from Shane!

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
http://www.hawleybooks.com/
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: