Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Simple Truth

As we concluded the Sermon On The Mount in my sophomore classes, we talked about Jesus urging us to keep our speech short and concise. I made the point that ''the truth is simple; lying is complicated.'' Today, I asked the students in one of my classes to raise their hands if they had lied in the last twenty-four hours. The majority of the hands went up. (How's that for honesty; admitting to lying!) I then showed them the video clip link below that was suggested by Sammy Ntunda, a young man in my seventh period class. (While setting up the clip, I pointed out that it came from an era when comedians were funny without sinking into filth.) We talked about telling a lie to cover a lie and how sometimes when their folks know they are lying, they try to rattle them into making a mistake in their story. This scene from The Carol Burnett Show is hilarious and illustrates how we get caught up in our own words.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gqQYuipF7U

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: