Sunday, January 17, 2010

Haiti





No one who reads this blog is unaware of the devastation which crippled the nation of Haiti this past week. I have a confession to make; I have not watched any of the television footage that has dominated the airwaves. For some reason, I just can't bring myself to watch what I know are horrible images. All of my news has come from the Internet. Six years ago this month, I was blessed to make a week long mission trip to Port-Au-Prince with a wonderful group called Hope For Haiti's Children. My eyes were opened to a wonderful people who are desperately poor and that before the earthquake. The congregation we worshipped with meets on the second floor of a downtown building and they have a school on the third floor. Both floors are now in the streets. I cannot add any insight to the situation but please let me give you access to Christians who can show you how to help. The first as I mentioned is Hope For Haiti's Children. Their website is http://hopeforhaitischildren.org/. The other group which we work with in our Honduras' efforts is Healing Hands International, a Nashville based group that does incredible relief work all over the world. Their site is http://www.hhi.org/. I can personally vouch for these two groups and any money you choose to donate will go where it is needed. I know when I look at these pictures of me and my friends in Haiti that these people need us. It is an opportunity for those who call the Lord their Master. Jesus said that what we do for the least of our brothers, we do for him. Tonight, our Haitian family needs help.Applicable quote of the day:
"Haiti looks like a bomb hit it.''
Jim Fowler

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

2 comments:

Joey V. said...

Thanks for sharing that~I can't watch it either, it makes me cry. I pray and hope for a new life for the survivors. God bless~~

Stephanie said...

Hi Steve-
Not sure how you found me but thank you so much for following my blog!
Your pictures of Haiti are such a contrast to those splattered all over the news these last days. What a calling you must have and how proud God must be that you answered so willingly. I wish I had the courage to travel to some foreign land like that.
Glad our paths have crossed.
Blessings,
Stephanie