Saturday, November 22, 2008

The Blessing

We began working on our next memory verse in my classes this week. When we return from Thanksgiving, my sophomores and eighth graders will write The Blessing Of Aaron for their first grade of the third six weeks. Found in Numbers 6:24-26, God commanded the first high priest of Israel to use these words to bless his chosen people:
"The Lord bless you and keep you;
the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you;
the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace."

We spoke of the human need for approval and how parents can have such an effect on the self-worth of their children. We talked of bedtime rituals and how moms and dads can make their kids feel important and ease their fears. I told them about how my folks tucked us in when we were small, prayed with us, and kissed us good-night. With that discussion as background, I gave each student a sheet of paper and had them pen a bedtime blessing to the child they will bring into the world in future years. Tonight, and in the coming nights, I'll let some of them speak for me.

"Sleep well my son. You are protected from evil in this world. Your Father will be there for you always even if I am not. I will be there as long as I can and I will teach you what God has taught me. Sleep well and sweet dreams and may the Lord wake you up in the morning."
Garrett, grade 10

"My dear child, I will always love you. May God always be with you and guide you through life. Always pray and know that the Lord is always there and will always forgive you. Dream dreams of people, joy, and faith, and let God wake you up to see another day."
Nick, grade 10

"Before you go to sleep, my little child, I want to let you know that I will always be here for you. When you struggle and need help, do not think twice about coming to me. I also want to let you know that I love you and that I will never change my mind, dear child. If, when you are scared and cannot sleep, pray or run to my arms for they will be open at any time of the day. I love you and goodnight, my sweet child."
Luis, Grade 10

"My child, you are my life-long gift. I will cherish your existence always and I will teach you the ways of your Almighty LORD. Sleep, my treasure of the universe, and trust the greatness of the path that the Lord had constructed for you. Goodnight, my child and you must be thankful for this day that was not promised to you."
Bryant, Grade 10

"Dear sweet little princess. You are an image of God's plan. There is nothing in this world you cannot overcome. Can I tell you something? In God's eyes, you are the most beautiful thing He has ever seen. You are my little princess, and will always be, even when you meet your prince. I will always love you and cherish you as a treasure. Let God take your heart and bless it always.
Love,
Mommy."
Amberly, grade 10

"Goodnight sweetheart. Rest yourself, beautiful, and may your dreams be filled with lots of love. Thank the Lord for He blessed you with another day. Forgive all who have angered you today. Your father and I love you with all our hearts. Goodnight and sweet dreams; I love you."
Tiffany, grade 10

"My sweet little angel. Just looking at you makes me smile and think about what a wonderful gift God blessed me with. Just know that if you need anything, your father and I are going to always be here for you. Make Godly choices in everything you do and dream forever, because you can do all things through Christ who strengthens you. I love you. Goodnight."
Talor, grade 10


God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

1 comment:

astrosfreak09 said...

Coach, I have to say.
The blessings that people wrote for their kids were really good. That kind of passion or sensitivity isn't something we see every day at school. It's nice to be able to take a minute and just see how people would feel about the kids they will have later on in life. Especially they guys, when they try and put up that macho man exterior, it's good to know that later on in life you can be sure that they'll treasure their family.
God Bless
Downtown Brown