Wednesday, April 17, 2019

The Web


Almost twelve  years ago, my family was dealing with Dad's stroke and his attempt at regaining his life. Although he lost the battle, I will never forget the courage with which he faced his crisis and his never ending concern for Mom. This is from August 12, 2007.
We have a community mailbox at our apartment complex. It's in an area surrounded by trees and flowers and it isn't unusual to see small lizards scurrying down the benches. When I go out early, I often witness one of the amazing sights of nature. Spiders have woven intricate and architecturally stunning webs between tree branches, covering a considerable distance. The dew glistening off the strands gives an even more beautiful glow to the intricate patterns. When I walk back through in the afternoon, the webs are always gone. Maybe people walk into them or intentionally pull them from their moorings but they are no longer there. Yet, when I come through the next morning, they have reappeared in all their splendor. Don't those spiders know their work is just going to be demolished as the day wears on? Or maybe, do they just build back because it's what they know and they can't give up? We have been touched in the last few days as rescuers search for survivors in a mine collapse in Utah or in the rushing waters of the Mississippi as the Minnesota bridge came crashing down. It seemed hopeless but we can't quit. Jesus taught that in Luke 18:1, my favorite verse, when he told his men a parable to show them they must always pray and not give up. Somebody told those spiders the same thing. I bet it was the voice of their Creator. My family is in the fight of our lives as we deal with the health crises of our parents colliding. My dad can't quit fighting as he tries to return to the life he knew. If he gives up, it's over. The spiders know.


Applicable quote of the day:
"When spider webs unite, they can tie up a lion."
Ethiopian Proverb


God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at
steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: