Thursday, April 18, 2019

Witnessing At The Neighborhood Wal-Mart

Kiley played basketball for us this year! This is from October 14, 2014.

Kiley walked by me at lunch today and greeted me with these five words:
"I saw you at WAL-MART!"
It was true. Friday afternoon, after a haircut and swimming, I stopped by the Wal-Mart two block from WCS to to do my weekly stock up on groceries. As i waited in the checkout line, I saw Kiley, a fourth grader, and her second grade brother Solomon walk by with their mom. They went to the self scanning line and didn't see me. As the young lady finished ringing up my order, I snuck over the three lanes to the do it yourself line to surprise them. It's funny but little kids don't always believe deep down that teachers exist outside of school walls. They were obviously happy to see me and it was mutual. But that's not what made it memorable for me. Apparently, their mom allowed 
Solomon to get the change when it rolled out of the cash depository when she paid their bill. When Solomon saw me, without hesitation, he put the money in my hand with a huge smile on his face. It wasn't much, just two shining pennies. He didn't have to tell me what it as for. For seventeen years, our WCS family has collected loose change to help build and sustain Christian orphanages in Honduras and Haiti. And that's where the 1/50th of a dollar will go, to benefit children who are Solomon's and Kiley's ages. Believe me, it all adds up.

We've all heard the old phrase, "put my two cents in." It's been around for hundreds of years while I would estimate Solomon is only seven or so. And yet, that's exactly what he did. Opinions vary on the origin of the line but most feel it has something to do with the story of the poor widow as told in Mark and Luke who put the entirety of her life savings into the temple treasury while Jesus looked on. We all know that the sum total (is sum total redundant?) was ONLY two cents. And yet the Savior praised her. I don't know if Solomon has ever heard that story from the scriptures but more than knowing it, he's living it. That's the kind of sermon I want to preach. And Solomon managed to do it without Power Point.

Applicable quote of the day:
"No person was ever honored for what he received. He was honored for what he gave."
Calvin Coolidge

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: