Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Zacchaeus, As Played By Angelo

 

Zacchaeus, As Played By Angelo

This is from April 24, 2024! One of our assignments this week in our juniors' Gospels' classes was to rewrite the story of Zacchaeus in Luke 19 from the perspective of the tax collector. This is from Angelo and is used with his permission!
"I grew up as a poor boy. I did not like to see my family go through hunger and trouble like that ever again. Luckily when I was just a teenager, I met an important Roman politician. He felt badly for me, so he took me by his side. He trained me in the worlds of economics and politics. I also learned to speak multiple languages under him. Later in life, he made me a tax collector. After collecting from my countrymen, I gave a sum of money to him, and he gave a quite comfortable amount of money for me and my family. There is a downside in my life- I am a very short man. The people hated me because they thought I was a puppet for the Romans. I only cared about my family and no one else; I did it for them. I do not like to be hated, but it is a consequence for working under the Romans. I simply got used to it while always wishing it would stop. One day, I heard that a man named Jesus would walk through my city of Jericho. The rumors were that he can do miracles and can even forgive sins! In the big crowd that gathered, I could not see him due to my height. I climbed a tree so that maybe, Jesus could see me! While I was sitting in the tree, I thought to myself, "Maybe if I gave the people my collectibles and belongings, maybe they would like me." And then,Jesus saw me sitting in the tree! He came up and said that he wants be in my house and have dinner. So I called my servants and asked them to give all my belongings to the people. Jesus said that I have reached salvation and that I was saved! I still work for the Romans as a tax collector, but I give the excess money I make back to the people. I help build synagogues and local kitchens for the poor. Praise be to God for His mercy on me!"

God bless, Steve Luke 18:1

No comments: