Sunday, March 26, 2023

Are You Ready?

 Are You Ready?

This is about fire drills but so much more is implied! it's from March 26, 2019!
We had a fire drill this afternoon but that's not unusual. By statute, we are required to have one monthly. But I was caught off guard for two reasons. One is that it happened close to the end of  seventh period and we almost never have one then. (It's also a free period for me so I had no responsibility but to exit safely myself!) The second oddity is that it wasn't the last day of the month- there's three more school days in March and we generally wait until the dying moments of the month to perform our civic duty. One more calendar page  of preparation in the books!

There was a notice on my door over the weekend. It was from the management of my complex stating they were going to do the yearly walk-throughs of each of the 500 some apartments at our location. The dates given for the inspections  were this Tuesday and this Thursday. Well, today is Tuesday and I was ready. I spent the weekend and last night making sure my living quarters were acceptable to the good folks who have allowed me to stay here for almost twenty-one years. I'm not exactly sure what they are looking for- maybe needed repairs or wear and tear in each unit. I just knew  my place had to be presentable and it was. But they didn't come today. I called the office and ascertained for sure that Thursday is the day they will visit my wing. Here's the good news: I'm not going to have to do any last minute scrambling tomorrow night or the following AM. My house is on order- I'm ready to go.

In Matthew 25, Jesus tells three parable that speak of the end of time and the accounting we must give. These three (Parables of  the Ten Virgins, The Talents, The Sheep and Goats) are direct in the theme that there will be a reward for those who will pass the test on that day that only the Lord knows. It's not a church song/hymn but since I was a kid, I've loved the rock classic Are You Ready? by Pacific Gas And Electric. It was a better time on the radio, to my way of thinking, because any station might play a wide variety of music, from country to pop, from R & B to soul, from novelty hits to spiritually themed numbers. (Remember Put Your Hand In The Hand Of The Man From Galilee?) But a group named after a California utility giant asked the question we should ask every morning when we get up; Are Your Ready? Are you? Am I? I didn't think we'd have a fire drill today even though I knew it was coming but we did. Maybe tomorrow will be the day spoken of through the millennia. It's already tomorrow somewhere in the world.

To listen to Are You Ready?, copy and paste the link below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20HmSomEHZ0

Applicable quote of the day:

The doctrine of the Second Coming has failed, so far as we are concerned, if it does not make us realize that at every moment of every year in our lives Donne's question "What if this present were the world's last night?" is equally relevant.
C. S. Lewis

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

No comments: