Thursday, July 19, 2018

Mistakes: They’re Inevitable! (Trina Agee Cornell)

Trina is one of my heroes! We have been on many mission trips together in Honduras and I've grown to love and admire her. She's such a wonderful example, WCS has tried several times to persuade her to teach for us. Trina and her husband Bob live in St. Louis recently became parents to Connor! Pray for me as I continue my mission in Vietnam!


Mistakes:  They’re Inevitable!
One of the most important lessons that I strive to teach my students falls in the realm of the learning process.  In anything you learn, you will make mistakes - you will not understand everything the first time, and that is alright.  I encourage them to embrace their mistakes, learn from them, and be better because of them.  I also explain their reaction to mistakes and failures is everything - the choices are clear: positive change or negative self doubt.  It is up to them to decide.
One day – a few years ago now – I have to listen to my own words and learn my own lesson.  It started off as a fairly good day, but a series of occurrences threatened to change this.  As I left my classroom that morning, I dropped my plastic water bottle, which proceeded to break and splatter all over the floor.  Thank goodness for great custodians!  Then lunch rolled around - I am doing pretty well at this point...until I realize I epically failed.  I was supposed to be present at a gathering for lunch, and I was responsible for plates.  Epic fail!  I pride myself on being responsible and on top of things - this time, I was not.  Many apologies later, I am thankful for gracious co-workers that are kind to forgive.  
Trust me – I have had several days like this since then.. We all make mistakes - it is a given that we will mess up.  Life happens, and sometimes,, the situation is out of our control.  We are human - we are fallible - it happens.  The biggest takeaway from making mistakes resides in owning them and learning from them.  Thank you, Lord, for Your precious forgiving heart - You are there to pick us up when we fall, get us back on our feet, and help us move forward.


mage result for paper plates


God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: