Saturday, March 24, 2018

Sunny


This has absolutely nothing to do with what I'm writing about tonight but yesterday, I got home from school and as I changed out of my dress stuff, I made an amazing discovery- I was wearing two belts! I change after first period from coaching gear to my professional wardrobe and as we had just completed a great practice, I must have been distracted. I'm not even sure how you can fit two belts through the loops in Jos A Bank pants! Another chapter in my life of fashion foibles!

I don't know much about television advertising but I am pretty sure of one thing- the people in charge know what works. During this current NCAA tournament, I've seen several ads for a company I've never heard of, Indeed. It is some sort of business for job seekers. What I recall about their spots has nothing to do with their product. No, what struck me was the use of a song I hadn't heard in awhile, Sunny, by Bobby Hebb. It's one of my favorite songs of all time although I'm no musical expert. However, it was ranked # 25 on the BMI list of "The Top 100 Songs of the Century," probably an excellent indicator of its staying ability in the modern culture. I'll say this- I paid some attention to the Indeed commercial simply because of the song. That's an effective ad, especially when I'm not in the market for another job!


Here's a few things I learned about Bobby Hebb  due to the Indeed commercial. His parents were both blind musicians and he was born in Nashville, Tennessee. He was one of the first African American artists to perform on stage at the Grand Old Opry. Hebb penned his classic within several days of the death of his older brother who was murdered the day after JFK's assassination on 11-22-63. He toured with the Beatles in 1966, when his hit was higher on the charts than any of the Fab Four's. Bobby Hebb did a lot of noteworthy things in his life but primarily is remembered for the classic hit he authored and sang to perfection. That's a pretty good thing to hang your hat on. The Indeed people think so!

Last night, I re-ran a blog about Tammy Wynette's mournful country ballad, D-I-V-O-R-C-E, a song about something good that turned bad. By contrast, Bobby Hebb's masterpiece is about hope and joy coming from despair:
Sunny, yesterday my life was filled with rain.
Sunny, you smiled at me and really eased the pain.
The dark days are gone, and the bright days are here,
My Sunny one shines so sincere.
Sunny one so true, I love you.
Sunny, thank you for the sunshine bouquet.
Sunny, thank you for the love you brought my way.
You gave to me your all and all.
Now I feel ten feet tall.
Sunny one so true, I love you.
Sunny, thank you for the truth you let me see.
Sunny, thank you for the facts from A to C.
My life was torn like a wind-blown sand,
And the rock was formed when you held my hand.
Sunny one so true, I love you.

Sunny, thank you for the smile upon your face.
Sunny, thank you for the gleam that shows its grace.
You're my spark of nature's fire,
You're my sweet complete desire.
Sunny one so true, I love you.

Sunny, to me, brings out one of the wonders of this life God gave us; it can turn around. The tough part is it can go from good to bad but the hope comes in the possibility it will be heartache to elation. That's one reason I think the Beatitudes of Jesus resonate. Mourn now, celebrate later. Hunger now, feast later. I believe Sunny is uplifting for that very reason- if we hold on, we can come out in a better place. It's cloudy today but the skies will be clear tomorrow. And we know the Father promised the rainbow after the rain. We have so much to look forward to, even in our down times. I thank the Lord Bobby Hebb reminded us of that.

Applicable quote of the day:

Music, at its essence, is what gives us memories. And the longer a song has existed in our lives, the more memories we have of it.
Stevie Wonder


To Hear Bobby Hebb's Sunny, click or copy/past the link below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubvYQxTXO3U


God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com






No comments: