Monday, June 17, 2019

The Beginning




Our kids at Westbury Christian School collect loose change which we have used over the years to help build and sustain orphanages in Honduras and now Haiti. Each journey begins with a step; each collection begins with a dollar. Here is the tale, from July 17, 2007, of the first dollar of a new year.

He walked up to me after worship on Sunday night and stuck a wrinkled one dollar bill in my hand. Allen was a first grader at Westbury Christian School last year and his sister, Jaelyn, was in our four year old kindergarten. (Jaelyn and I have an ongoing conversation concerning the number of teeth she possesses and the tooth fairy who I suspect looks an awful lot like her mother.) Allen has a IV behind his name and I know the three who preceded him with that moniker have to be proud. His dad, Allen the III, and his mom, Rachanda, are the models of Godly parenting. I haven't been in their home but to look at their children is all the evidence anyone would ever require. I knew what the dollar was for. Allen knew I had returned from Honduras less than twenty-four hours previously. He knew I took the $10,000 our kids raised for orphans in Honduras with me, although I'm not sure he quite understands the concept of checks yet, probably thinking I carried all those pennies down just as they were turned in. I am pretty sure Allen realized our funds were depleted so he made the first donation of the new school year which won't even begin for several weeks. I may put it in a little picture frame as an example until next summer. I bet I could get his mother to donate a picture of her second grader-to-be to go next to George Washington's portrait. And, I bet Jesus is smiling when he looks down at the generosity of the Allens of the world.

The Bible commands its readers to take care of children who have no one to watch over them. Allen obviously takes that directive to heart. I think God moves when we move. In an unrelated matter which is a totally related matter, I have a new great nephew today! Bennett David Hawley was officially adopted by my nephew, Zach, and his lovely wife, Haley. Only three months ago, their precious daughter, Harper, died from a rare genetic disorder at only ten months. Incredibly- if you don't believe in the ways of the Lord- doors were opened allowing them to add Bennett, born only ten days ago, to their home. We are rejoicing and we ask you to join us as we thank our Father in heaven. And while you're at it, thank him for the hearts of children like Allen. There is a connection.



Applicable quote of the day:
"No one yet has realized the wealth of sympathy, the kindness and generosity hidden in the soul of a child. The effort of every true education should be to unlock that treasure."
Emma Goldman


God bless,
Uncle Steve
Luke 18:1

http://www.hawleybooks.com/
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

4 comments:

Max's Family said...

Just wanted to let you know I really love reading your blog. You have such a way with words. Congratulations on your new great nephew! Kristin was here last night and we read the update together on Harper's website, which we still check regularly. I am thrilled for them, it's amazing how quickly that prayer was answered. God is good.
Kelly

Hold my hand: a social worker's blog said...

Beautiful story.

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Wonderful story.

Yvonne.

Cynthia Reese said...

Terrific post and terrific blog! Congrats on your new great nephew! Isn't it absolutely amazing how God pushes our backs to the wall, so that we will KNOW that, when the miraculous happens, it's not our doing, but His?

And about The Date post ... too cool! The Kiddo is 8, and I think this method is better than The Husband's promised method of cleaning the shotgun on the front porch!