Monday, May 21, 2018

Ask And Ye Shall Receive


Do you ever wonder if the Lord gets tired of forgiving you, especially for the same things? In spite of the scriptures many references to the Father's longing to forgive His children, guilt can override our desire to be recociled to our Maker. The following, from December of 2005, is about the value of ASKING!

I learned a lesson today. I rarely use my MasterCard. (I do contribute back to my alma mater, Harding University, with each use!) My only consistent bill is the $20 monthly fee for my book's website. Somehow, probably because of Thanksgiving, I was four days overdue with my payment. My bill came in several days ago with a $15 late fee, pretty steep when the original charge is only $20. Trying to do what I believe is my Christian obligation of being a good steward and getting every penny back I am legally entitled to, I asked Jean Adams, our school accountant and a CPA, if the late fee could be written off as a business expense. She wasn't sure but she did say there was an alternative. Jean suggested calling MBNA, the parent company, and ask if they would waive the late fee because I pay my bills on time. Her idea terrified me. I am the least confrontational person you'll meet and the thought of asking for debt forgiveness made me shake. I mean, the person on the other end of the line might get mad at me. But, fifteen dollars IS fifteen dollars so I bit the bullet. Of course, I sat in Jean's office for moral support- she even dialed and pushed the option buttons. A voice came on the other end, the unknown, unseen Debra. Guess what? She looked at my record and was happy to do it- I mean she almost acted thrilled! It was like I was doing them a favor by my request! She went on and on about what a valued customer I am- and remember, my total debt works out to less than 60 cents per day. I was glowing when I hung up the phone. It was so easy. What was I so scared of? Just think; if Jean hadn't brought it up, I would have let it keep eating at me.

I know you know where I am going with this. Most of us need forgiveness from someone but we won't ask. We have a million reasons so we let it go and it never solves itself. It might be a relative, a co-worker, a neighbor, or most importantly, the Lord. It's there- go for it! Maybe my task today is being for you what Jean was for me. It's only a phone call, an e-mail, a knock on the door, or a prayer away. Go on! To quote Jean, what do you have to lose? The answer-GUILT! Happy forgiveness!


Applicable quote of the day:
"The glory of Christianity is to conquer by forgiveness." 

William Blake

God bless,
Steve, 'The Forgiven'
Luke 18:1

http://www.hawleybooks.com/
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

2 comments:

Devin Raechelle said...

hey coach i like this site cus its free! all the sites i'm apart of are free freeness rules yay!

Tel Foramilio said...

The Peace of the Lord! Thanks for following my blog, may God bless you mightily! Grace and Peace!

Also I am following your blog!