Monday, April 01, 2024

Ten Years After

 

Ten Years After

This is from April 1, 2020!
If you are a rock and roll fan, you might surmise from the title of this blog that my entry tonight is about the English band, Ten Years After, fronted by Woodstock legend, Alvin Lee, the world's fastest guitarist to some. But the title is just coincidental. You see, on this day in 2010, I bought my brand new Honda Fit, seen above as I was about to drive it off the lot. I'd always said I would never buy a new car (I listened to Dave Ramsey) but we had just received the check from our parents' estate and it was a good time to get a great deal. So, with the help of my friend, Brian, we went and made the deal at a local dealership with a good reputation. I know nothing about the automobile business but Brian, who is also from Nebraska, works in that field. I got a good deal, the dealership made their profit, and ten years ago tonight, I slept easy, confident of the wisdom of my purchase.

When I made the decision to go through with the transaction, I also made a pledge to myself that I would take good care of this largest  investment I've ever made. And I've kept that pledge. There's been a few scrapes left by others who left without leaving their names or insurance company but they have been minor. Last spring, I took a rock to the windshield and had to get it replaced. Three springs ago, I lost a race with the automatic gate at my apartment and had to cough up a $1,000 loser's fee. That's it. No mechanical problems at all. Still passes the emissions test for the yearly car inspection with flying colors. I'm averaging less than 7,000 miles a year and Fits typically go over 200,000 miles so I should have twenty more years before I have to buy a new one. Or more!

Here's what's funny. It wasn't the car I wanted or arrived with the intent to buy. I wanted a dark blue one but Russell and Smith didn't have one on hand and it would have taken at least another say to get one so I settled for the one above. The salesman I worked with, Santos, told me the lighter shade was better in his opinion because it would not show nicks and scratches as much and he's been proven right. Besides, another car might have had a flaw mine doesn't so I'm more than satisfied. And now, at our 10 year anniversary, I can reminisce about what we've shared together.
It's transported me to school and worship safely for 120 months.
It's carried me safely to Wichita every Thanksgiving and Christmas, twenty safe round trips.
It's allowed me to make numerous trips to Arkansas for the increasingly precious family reunions and the emotional family funerals.
It got me to Ben and Courtney's wedding and the numerous weddings I've officiated since then.
And perhaps, most importantly, it's safely transported my basketball teams for a decade with endless Glade hanging air fresheners and too many Christmas carols to recall.


It's been ten years since I was handed my new set of keys, which I assumed automatically unlocked the doors...... but  didn't. Before, and maybe for several months prior to April 1, I prayed about buying the right vehicle for me and my needs. There are times that we just can't know how our prayers have been answered or even if, at least to our level of agreement with the Lord on what He should do for us. For me, it's taken ten years to adequately understand the way I was blessed. I tell my students that my parents didn't buy me a car when they were alive but they, by their careful management of what means they had, bought me one after they died. I think they would have liked it and approved of where it's taken me, believing it was no accident. After all, Father knows best.

To listen to Alvin Lee and Ten Years After performing their hit, I'd Love To Change The World, click or copy/paste the link below:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTUsFm0BAu8

Applicable quote of the day:
“Take care of your car in the garage, and the car will take care of you on the road.”
Amit Kalantri, 


God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

No comments: