Tuesday, April 02, 2024

By Their Name

 

By Their Name

This is from April 2, 2020, right at the beginning of the pandemic.
As you may guess, all this teaching online is a huge challenge for me! Somehow, with help from colleagues and lots of prayers, I am at least holding my own. I've taught the same two Bible classes since 1998 so I have all the lesson plans/quizzes/memory verses/tests stored up in my school computer. But as you might also guess, those lesson plans were made out to be taught in person. Being forced to adapt can be beneficial so I'm being flexible and keeping my head above water. Both my 8th graders and my juniors have two writing assignments due for this week. For my 11th graders in our Gospels' classes, yesterday's work was as follows:

Watch the film clip (https://www.bible.com/videos/3312-luke-15-from-lumoproject-dot-com) and read the text of Luke 15 (NIV) to prepare for the following assignment. You need to retell one of the three parables of Luke 15 (Lost Sheep, Lost Coin, Lost Son) but do so from the perspective of one of the five main characters: the shepherd, the woman, the younger son, the older son, the father. It needs to be told in the first person, as if that character is speaking, and be factually accurate to the text. However, you may add your own details and other background you deem necessary to inform your reader/listener what really happened while you were in the middle of the dilemma. It must be at least three paragraphs of three complete sentences each in length. Be creative- I need some blog material!
If you predicted more would choose one of  the options dealing with The Prodigal Son, you would be correct. But, some did take the perspective of the woman who lost some money and some the shepherd who lost track of one of his sheep. Most of the essays turned in were good and some needed work. That's no different than if they were all using lined paper and Bic pens. What's that they say about the more things change?

Here's something I found interesting. Four of the juniors who chose the shepherd's perspective named their sheep who went missing. The respective monikers? Charles, Peter, Sammy, Billy. Notice anything peculiar about the list? All are male names. Were they implying boy sheep are more likely to wander off than girl sheep, or technically, ewes? I'm not sure, though in fairness, I need to state that two of the four were young ladies and two were gentlemen so they were consistent. I thought it was funny but then I remembered Jesus calling Himself both the good shepherd and the gate for the sheep. And do you know what Jesus says in John 10:3?
He (the shepherd) calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.

It's right there in red. Jesus taught that the flock would be so precious to their keeper that each would have their own name, given by the One who would lay down His life for theirs. Four seventeen year olds far removed from the pastures saw things exactly as a shepherd would. You can't pull the wool over their eyes. Maybe I am learning something.


Applicable quote of the day:
Too many leaders act as if the sheep... their people... are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep,
Ken Blanchard


God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

No comments: