Friday, May 01, 2020

From The Halls Of Montezuma.....



Early yesterday morning, I was standing by my car in my apartment complex when this gentleman I've never seen before started a conversation with a twenty foot distance between us. I can't recall how it began but out of the blue, he asked,
"Are you a Marine?"
Now, at the time I was dressed in workout shorts, running shoes, and a Collegiate tennis t-shirt. Additionally I was unshaven and it's been nine weeks since I had a haircut. I replied that I was not but instead, I teach Bible and coach basketball at Westbury Christian School. That seemed to satisfy his curiosity but not mine. I should have asked him why he asked that but I let the moment pass and we drifted into another two minutes of banter. Part of me would like to know.

I'm often misidentified at school but usually by little children. In recent years, I've been called Mr. White who is four inches taller than me and the head of our school- great compliment to Mike! I've been called Mr. Tony who was the head of our Sage Dining and African American. I've been called Daddy by a little girl constantly. (Our lower school administrator told me the child has a great actual father!) I've also been called -------'s Daddy because some little one thought another little one was my daughter! Sometimes, they do get it right! Actually, I'm kind of famous with our K-4 through 4th graders as they all spend time in my room each year with our Honduras/Haiti project.

I've written here before that I've been mistaken for Hall Of Fame baseball player Mike Schmidt and told I resembled actor Jean Claude Van Damme who incidentally look nothing alike. In Honduras, a lady thought I was a doctor but I was wearing scrubs so maybe that's understandable. In the New Testament, John the Baptist was confronted by religious leaders demanding his identity- he responded by quoting that he was simply a voice crying out in the wilderness. I often tell my students that I find it fascinating the demons Jesus was about to cast out always recognized Him but His own apostles did not. Maybe the evil spirits saw supernaturally and maybe The Twelve were so focused on themselves that they were blind to who was in their midst. I would have known...... or would I have?


Not long ago I was at WAL-MART to purchase my weekly necessities. As I turned down an aisle, my cart came close to another so I said to the gentleman who was pushing it, 'Excuse me, sir.' The reply? "Hi, Steve!' It was Randy but I didn't recognize him behind his mask. He's no ordinary guy. I worked with his wife, Becki, for years, he's been on our WCS board of directors, and I've taught his son and his grandson! But that's not all! Randy, a lawyer, once gave me five of his suits and he and Becki paid for the tailoring to fit me. One of our coaches would always call me Mr. Glover when he saw me in a suit! Funny that Randy knew me but I didn't know him. 

What makes believers  recognizable in a world of non-believers? Jesus said we would be recognized by our love. I wear a cross but that's not what He said. Peter was recognized as being one of the followers of the Lord and he denied it by cursing. I've mentioned that I watch The Closer and identification is made by fingerprints or DNA or even retinal scans. We're told to be light and salt in the Sermon on the Mount. One of those attributes is obvious while one is subtle. One works from the outside and one on the inside. The neighbor I referenced must have thought I was a Marine due to some external clue but he didn't seem shocked when I told him I was paid to teach God's word. Maybe that's a good thing. Maybe I need to wear a name tag. Or maybe,  I could always be aware that I should act like the son of my Father in every circumstance. I've always loved that hymn, Am I A Soldier Of The Cross? I hope I can truthfully answer, 'Yes, sir.'

Applicable quote of the day:
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. 
 Ronald Reagan

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

E=mail me at shawley@westburychristian.org

No comments: