Sunday, March 22, 2020

Bible Stories And Google Classroom




If you know me or my siblings, you know we grew up with the Lord, in church and at home. I can't speak for the other youngsters in my clan, but I had almost every significant story down pat by age seven or eight. Dad was a preacher who descended from preachers and Mom was a noted Bible teacher who studied the Word as much as anyone I knew so it was a given we'd be well-versed in the verses of the Scriptures. One of the stories I can't remember not knowing was the story of the evangelist Philip and the eunuch from Ethiopia who was traveling back home from Jerusalem, a journey of roughly fifteen hundred miles. He was treasurer of his nation and a seeker of God. As he rode in his chariot, an angel sent the evangelist Philip to find him on the road leading to Gaza. When they connected, the eunuch was reading from the prophet Isaiah. As many of you already know, Philip asked the official if he understood what he read and the man from Ethiopia replied he needed someone to explain it. Philip taught him about Jesus, the man was baptized into Christ, Philip was whisked away, and the new brother in Christ went on his way rejoicing in his salvation. This ends the Biblical account of the unnamed powerful public servant but there is much commentary on what became of him and his influence on Christianity in Africa.

Fast forward to Houston, two thousand-plus years in the future. With the threat of the Coronavirus to disrupt education as we know it, WCS along with countless other American schools, made plans to go to distance learning if that became necessary which as we know, it did. Our course of action would be primarily the use of Google Classroom, a free educational web service. I'd heard of it but I had no clue. (All my work is turned in physically in Room 258 and not on-line although I'm pretty good with RENWEB which is our Internet grade reporting and communication system.) Fortunately, Dr. Joseph Greer, who teaches history for us, graciously came to my room and showed me how to add class sections to Google Classroom, both for my 8th graders who study Luke and my juniors, who cover the Gospels chronologically. Then, Russell Carr, our AD and 7th grade boys' Bible instructor, set up the first week assignments for me which included quite a bit of typing on his part. We start Monday, which is tomorrow, a first for Westbury Christian and an absolute first for me.

Let me state the obvious- there isn't a perfect analogy or anything close in my two examples. Russell and Joseph aren't evangelists who have been DM'd by angels or transported by the Holy Spirit. I'm not from Ethiopia, a high ranking politician, or a eunuch. Still, I was guided in what I did not comprehend by those who do know and who were willing, enabling me to teach children, many  who were not raised with constant spiritual training, about Jesus in a way that is still foreign to me. Does the Lord put us in contact with those who can shed light on areas we lack strength? Conversely, does He put us in the path of those who need what we possess? I believe YES. Am I going to have issues with navigating what for me will some sort of weird parallel universe? Of course! Will I come out of this a better teacher with new insights? An equally resounding OF COURSE! Less than an hour ago, we wrapped up our online worship service. Our minister, David Yasko, referenced the scenario from Acts 8 that this devotional is centered around. Perfect end for his lesson- perfect ending for my blog. AMEN and see you online!

Applicable quote of the day:
Good works is giving to the poor and the helpless, but divine works is showing them their worth to the One who matters. 
Criss Jami,

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

E-mail me at shawley@westburychristian.org

No comments: