Monday, March 23, 2020

Seven Decades


I once read a clip from on a website questioning whether the concept of marriage is sexist. The couple in this article did not think so. This is from September 19, 2010.

I wasn't there this afternoon in Florida to celebrate but I wish I had been. You see, several hours ago in the city of Mango in the Sunshine State, I know they had a party to give due honor to the 70th wedding anniversary of Alex and Ruth Humphrey. You probably don't know them but we all have families whose lives are intertwined with our own childhood. I was a seventh grader when the Humphreys moved to my hometown in Nebraska. They had a son named Phil who was a year older than me and the best Texas accents I had ever heard. I spent a considerable amount of time in their home and I have never been in one any more gracious. Alex would later be my Bible professor at York College and I recalled things he taught me last week as I taught the same material to twenty-four senior boys. In a small town and in a small church where many of the members worked in the same business, in this case, York College, it was hard to tell where roles started and stopped and I don't think that was bad. Phil married Aloha, the daughter of the college president, and I had known her since I was four. My parents had known her parents since college days in Arkansas, seven hundred miles from our Nebraska roots. I guess we used to inherit our parents' friends as our own and their kids came in the deal. I don't think that happens as much anymore, at least in urban areas, and I think that is society's loss.

Seventy years of marriage. WOW! I would guess that there were no guests present today who also were on hand that September day in 1940. Think of it: they were married almost a year-and-a-half BEFORE the term Pearl Harbor became a national rallying cry. What a legacy of love they will bequeath to their descendants. I wish I could have been on hand today in Mango, Florida. I know what I would have thought of: my mom and dad. I was blessed with many constants as a child that many of my students will never know. One constant was my mother and father. Another was the good friends of my folks, people like Alex and Ruth Humphrey. Seventy years and counting. The Lord knew what He was doing when He brought that young man and young lady together; a match made in heaven.

To hear the best anniversary song of all time, click below for Randy Travis singing Forever And Ever Amen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgJXbIP83A8&ob=av2n

Applicable quote of the day:
''The sum which two married people owe to one another defies calculation. It is an infinite debt, which can only be discharged through all eternity.''
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe


God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
http://www.hawleybooks.com/
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: