Thursday, August 23, 2018

Perfecting Recommendations To A T(ee)


Let me get this out of the way right off the bat: I'm no Texas A & M fan. I grew up in Nebraska and that's really the only team I'll ever cheer for on the college level. And except for my first cousin, Marsha, receiving her Ph.D. in College Station, I don't even think I've had any kinfolk who matriculated at A & M. That being said, I've worn Texas A & M t-shirts to our last two Bible studies this past Sunday and Wednesday evenings respectively. If you know me, you know I never buy t-shirts for personal use! I get more than an adequate supply from my brother, Dave, and from my coaching gig here at WCS. These two maroon shirts were actually compensation from former students. I write a good number of college letters of recommendation each year and I always tell the freshmen to be I expect an XL t-shirt of their new alma mater should they be accepted. Within five days, both Jose and Krystal paid up on their end of the bargain. Most kids forget and it doesn't worry me. One of the best compliments a teacher can be given is to be asked to pen these letters that can profoundly change a teenager's lifetime fortunes. That's really all the payment that's necessary- but I still love the shirts!

The seniors who ask me to recommend them always bring me a short resume' of their high school careers with interests, accomplishments, goals, strengths, etc. I don't look at them. The institutions of higher learning want to know what I think. I've been with these soon to be adults for at least a year, often two years, and if they played for me, up to four. I've seen them in class, in the halls, at chapel, sitting with friends at lunch, in good times and bad. I've seen them in times of A's and times of grades they wish they could get a reset on. I've seen them when they were praised and sometimes when they were in trouble, although that is rare. In 2 Corinthians 3, Paul writes to his brothers and sisters about recommendations. His point was that the lives they lead are the best argument they could make:
 

You yourselves are our letter, written on our hearts, known and read by everyone. You show that you are a letter from Christ, the result of our ministry, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts.

I understand the need for formal introductions to total strangers and the need to understand as much as possible the potential student you may select as worthy to enroll. But paper only tells part of the story. What a great word picture Paul  paints when he refers to tablets of human hearts. When we truly know and love/respect/care for someone, there isn't enough paper in the world to adequately express it. I always make my letters fit on one side of a sheet of stationery. If the admissions office can't figure out what a jewel this WCS product is in three paragraphs, then maybe it just isn't a good fit. But you know what is a good fit? An XL t-shirt with that college's logo when they are smart enough to take me at my word! I hate to say this ..... but GIG 'EM!

Applicable quote of the day:
“92% of respondents reported that a positive recommendation from a friend,
family member, or someone they trust is the biggest influence on whether they buy a product or service.” 

Paul M. Rand

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: