Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Oh, What A Lucky Man He Was!


My entry tonight is about the man who involved me in his work in Vietnam. This is from July 15, 2008. 

Tom Tune is a long-time minister of the Gospel who has done mission work in Hong Kong, the Cook Islands, and now Vietnam. I have been blessed to be part of his work since I met him years ago in Lebanon, Tennessee where his son, Mike, was our minister. The Miss Universe Pageant was held last week in Vietnam and Tom ran into Miss USA, Crystle Stewart, who is from Houston. Talk about being in the right place at the right time! You may have seen the film clip of this lovely young lady who tripped during the evening gown competition but handled herself with great grace and dignity as she continued the segment. How often we let small setbacks, out of the public eye, distract our focus from things that really matter. I think my fellow Houstonian, Crystle, shows a refreshing sense of candor and maturity as she discusses the mishap that was broadcast worldwide.



Miss USA offers humor and philosophy about fall
By BEN STOCKING – 19 hours ago

HANOI, Vietnam (AP) — Miss USA has learned a simple lesson from her humiliating tumble during the Miss Universe pageant — the second year in a row the American contestant has taken a spill.
"I think I'm going to have to take some walking classes," Crystle Stewart told The Associated Press during a telephone interview Monday, just hours after her mishap was broadcast live across the globe.
"I would never have thought in a million years that I would fall down at the Miss Universe pageant — right after Miss USA fell last year," Stewart said. "I always wondered: My God, if that happened to me, what would I do?"
Stewart is taking the episode with equal parts humor and philosophy, determined to move on.
"Things happen," said Stewart, 26. "I"m perfectly fine. I'm going to move back to New York and get on with my life."
Stewart's fall came as she walked on stage for the evening gown competition.
"My dress has beautiful beads on the bottom of it, and I stepped on my gown and they made me slip. It was like I was on Rollerblades. There was no conspiracy or anything. Nobody left marbles on the floor. It was just me."
Miss Venezuela, who won the contest, will now become Stewart's roommate in New York, where Miss Universe, Miss USA and Miss Teen USA share an apartment provided by the company that owns all three pageants.
Stewart and the other contestants attended a coronation party for the new Miss Universe, Dayana Mendoza, on Monday night in Nha Trang, where the pageant was held.
Stewart is a motivational speaker and has developed a character education program which she teaches in a New York City school. She plans to turn her mishap into a lesson.
"I'll be talking to my students about it when I get back," she said. "Sometimes you fall in life, not just in the pageant but financially or emotionally. It's not about the fall but how you pick yourself up."
After she fell down, Stewart stood up, gave herself a round of applause, and kept on walking.
During the 2007 Miss Universe contest in Mexico City, Miss USA Rachel Smith also tumbled during the evening gown competition and became an unintended star on YouTube, where the video was shown over and over again.
Now Stewart has become an Internet sensation, drawing thousands of hits on YouTube and lighting up the conversation in Internet chatrooms.
Stewart is determined not to let the ridicule bring her down.
"I know I'll get through it and that there are bigger and better things to come," she said.


Applicable quote of the day:
"Beauty is not caused. It is."
Emily Dickinson

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

http://www.hawleybooks.com/
E-mail me at
steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: