Wednesday, January 31, 2018

The Early Morning Scent Of Chik-fil-A


I went to Chik-Fil-A last night. Back in March, I made a vow not to go out to eat for a year but Monday evening was a special occasion. The Chik-Fil-A nearest our school, the Meyerland location for you Houstonians, sponsored a Spirit Night for WCS. Our student ministry team received a percentage of each purchase when the customer identified themselves with Westbury Christian School. There was a terrific crowd both inside and out so I'm praying we made a good deal of money. Any funds raised are earmarked for our kids Spring Break mission trip so the final destination is worthy. I was glad to spend some time hobnobbing with WCS kiddos and their folks as well as some of our faculty. Like many small schools, we really are a family. The young man who took my order was very kind and cordial like they are at each store I've visited. My assumption is that he is an assistant manager. He told me a little bit about what it was like in the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey- Meyerland was under water! When I thanked him for hosting our kids, he deflected the compliment and told me they are glad they can be involved.  I suspect that is always their philosophy. Many other American businesses should take note.

My order was a Grilled Club Sandwich combo with iced tea (sweet!) and a chocolate shake on the side. In the interest of my time, I made it to go and in spite of heavy Houston traffic, returned to my apartment in only fifteen minutes or so. Man, that was one good meal! I eat almost nothing fried but those Waffle Fries are the best! I finished my work and got to bed at a decent hour which is a must during the school year as I get up at 4:30 AM. This morning, I went through my routine, leaving to lift at my nearby club at 6 AM. As I unlocked and opened my Honda Fit, I was overwhelmed with the smell of Chik-fil-A! Even though my food was only in my car for a quarter of an hour or so, it left a lasting impression.... or at least one that stayed until I went home from school in the afternoon! I'm not saying I was transported back to the night before and our fundraiser, but I had a good memory of the good that was done.

Over the years, I've increasingly used Glade Solid Air Fresheners in my classroom- I want the place to smell as appealing as possible. These affordable (99 cents) gel containers come in scents like Clean Linen, Hawaiian Breeze, and Apple Cinnamon. Do any of us want to be in confined spaces that reek? Of course not! In life, we covet friends and memories that bring joy and precious recollections. In the oft quoted (by me and others!) words of Paul in Second Corinthians 2, we are the aroma of Christ. To some that's life and to some, that's the stench of death. To me, the fragrance of Chik-fil-A on Monday was the fragrance of life. The funds will help our high school kids minister to economically deprived children in Edmond, Oklahoma this coming March. In Matthew 10:42, Jesus teaches that giving a cup of cold water in His name to a child would have its reward. My thought is that sweet iced tea will fall into that category as well. In fact, it sounds like a perfect definition to me. Praise God for little ones and praise God for those who lend a hand to lift them up. I've been to a Chik-fil-A in Edmond, Oklahoma when visiting relatives over the holidays. It just might be a blessing to add it to the itinerary. I can smell it from here.


Applicable quote of the day: 
"It’s OK to have wealth. But keep it in your hands, not in your heart."
Truett Cathy (Founder of Chik-fil-A)

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: