Wednesday, December 06, 2017

My Players Versus Jay Wright

If you are a regular reader, you know that my teacher's aide at school picks out what I wear for class each day. Over the past five years, that task has been handled by Minna Wong, Mi Ngo, Jean Zolensky (twice), and this  year by the wonderful Cristina Granados. I keep several weeks worth of shirts/ties/pants in my classroom along with a supply of shoes/belts/socks. Each morning, Cristina, who is a senior, assembles my wardrobe for the following day. I can't tell you how much easier my life has become with fewer decisions to make, especially ones I struggle with. I also get more compliments, a nice byproduct of my clothing system!

If you are a regular reader, you also know I really like the kids on my middle school girls' basketball team this year. Although we are small in number, having only seven players, we have improved steadily with a record standing at 5-3. There are advantages in coaching a small group, particularly in regards to being able to get in a great deal of individual work and the kids all knowing they are going to play considerable minutes in the games. We also have Wednesday devotionals led voluntarily by the young ladies and they have been terrific! I like this bunch so much I would almost pay to coach them- but don't tell my bosses.

There's something else I'm letting my players do this year for the first time. On game days, I let one of them take Cristina's role and choose what I wear during the contest that afternoon. They have really bought into this responsibility! Yesterday, we won a one point thriller and seventh grader Katelyn, who had chosen what I wore, took partial credit.... as well she should! This is not to disparage what others wear- the majority of basketball coaches on this level wear school polos. I just feel more comfortable dressing up like I do for school. And here's something else. I determine what the kids wear to practice and to some extent, in games. They represent me and I want them to look like a sharp, disciplined basketball team. The flip side is true as well. I represent them and I see no problem in letting them have a large say so in how I appear in public. That's Villanova's Jay Wright, a coaching legend, at the top of  the page. He is often mentioned as the most fashionably dressed men's college basketball coach and rightly so. My guess is he has a large clothing budget or at the very least, his clothes are provided for promotional consideration. But I have an advantage over Jay; seventh and eighth graders who are committed to making their coach look sharp. When my players go on the court, their uniforms read CHRISTIAN in bold letters stitched on the front. We have to recall who we are representing in a much more important arena. That's the only outcome that eternally matters.

Applicable quotes of the day:

“A bad day coaching basketball is better than a good day doing almost anything else”
Bob Hurley
“I’m a lot better coach when I have really good players”
Chuck Daly

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: