Wednesday, September 20, 2017

The Right Time And Place



We had another good Lady Wildcat basketball practice this morning, our 14th of the young and interrupted by Harvey 2017-2018 school year. Last Friday morning, as we did the Friday before that, we practiced against our middle school boys in our first period workout. We share a gym with the Wildcat squad, separated by a curtain most days. But five days ago, the curtain was raised and we played a mini- tournament of boys versus girls in three and four man teams with games going to three baskets. I only have seven girls this year so it's a terrific opportunity to play against kids who are much quicker and in some cases, more experienced, than we are. And we held our own. My guess is the females won about 2/3 of the inter-gender contests. The boys' coaches, Michael Williams and Robert Harper, were very complimentary of my girls. They remarked how the girls communicate and play well together, compliments with which I concur. I returned the favor, praising the boys for playing hard which not all kids today do. It was a day when both team got better; win-win!

To be honest, I'm not sure how good we will be. We always talk in turns of improving instead of winning games. But here is one thing I  really like about this team. In those fourteen days of practice, every girl has been present AND every girl has been on time, even early. Unless you coach kids, this may not seem like a big deal but it is. I've had teams that were not good at this and there is always a negative carry over. This bunch is special. On the first day of school, the first thing I told them is that in the real world, someone who is late for work is called unemployed. They took it to heart and here I have to give props to their folks who deliver them. Not many twelve and thirteen year olds have driver's licenses! 

Look, there are times when being late in unavoidable. We know Godly people who are usually behind in their appointments. Some Wednesday nights, I run late for Bible study. I have little excuse, unlike parents with multiple kiddos who have to travel some distance. I believe the discipline it takes to be where we should be at the proper moment is vital as we mature. Our school bell system has been out for the past two weeks and tardiness is creeping in. I told the kids there will be consequences when the system is fixed and there again will be clear cut times of dismissal from one class and arrival to the next. I find it interesting that in Ecclesiastes 3, Solomon never threw in a time to be early and a time to be late with his other eternal lines of wisdom. Maybe just being there can suffice on occasion but there is also something about getting somewhere before required I find admirable. I had a teacher moment this afternoon. My last section is an 8th period, 8th grade Bible class. As I stood at the door, three middle schoolers literally sprinted to be the first inside Room 258. The one girl of the trio, Erin, emerged victorious. Now I'm not advocating running in the halls but I do know they would not have been early if they hated our class. I hope that's the way my basketball players feel, too. And I hope that's how we feel when it's time for worshiping with our body of believers. Time will tell.

Applicable quote of  the day:
If I have made an appointment with you, I owe you punctuality, I have no right to throw away your time, if I do my own. 
Richard Cecil

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: