Wednesday, August 02, 2017

The Caddy (Dave Hawley)

Tonight's entry is again by my brother, Dave, who lives in Wichita, Kansas and is the winningest high school tennis coach in the US! Lord willing, I am safely back in Houston after a four week mission to Vietnam!
I like to think of myself as a really good golfer. I like to think that,but honestly , it's not true. Not even close .....oh, there are rounds where I seem to know what I'm doing and I'll shoot a good score, but truthfully, I'm just a hack who loves to play. It's when I think I'm a big deal that the wheels usually come off and I'm exposed.

I really could write a small book about me and golf, and lessons I have learned... But the bigger lessons are the ones I OUGHT to have learned and either refuse to or don't see as important. I stink in sand traps. I refuse to try different clubs, instead trying to force results from clubs ill suited for particular needs. I don't like to practice, and yet I want PRACTICE results.

About five years ago , my oldest son Zach offered to caddy for me while we play... Not carry my bags (THAT would be nice !👍) but to help me with club selection and stroke management. On a couple of rare moments, I've listened to him... And almost always his advice has been spot on. So why don't I all the time? Pride, stubbornness , self contentment ... And when I don't listen, I don't maximize what I COULD be!

We need spiritual caddies. Burden lifters. Encouragement givers. Comfort afforders. In essence, Jesus provides in the most importance sense what a caddy does on a shallow level.... Everything that is needed. Hopefully we allow Jesus to navigate our lives for us and allow him to speak so that we will.... Listen.


God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: