Monday, August 07, 2017

OOPS! (Trina Agee Cornell)

Trina is one of my heroes! We have been on many mission trips together in Honduras and I've grown to love and admire her. She's such a wonderful example, WCS has tried several times to persuade her to teach for us. Trina and her husband Bob live in St. Louis and are expecting their first child!  Pray for me as I recover from my mission in Vietnam!

Last night, I remember going to bed early - the vice presidential debate had put me to sleep in my big chair of the living room, so I knew I needed me some rest.  I fell right to sleep and began to dream away - I can't tell you what about, though.  Early this morning, as I was still sleeping, a thought popped into my head.  In my mind, I thought it was the weekend - because I had a substitute all day yesterday, I can understand why.  Then my brain switched over - "No, it can't be the weekend - I've only been at school two days".  I opened my eyes and took a look at my phone.  
It was twenty minutes past the time I usually get up.
I was so tired the night before, I forgot to set my alarm!  
That got me up and moving quickly - I scrambled to get my workout clothes, pack my bag, and get ready to go - and just as I am ready to walk out the door, I realized something - I can't find my phone!  (My phone is an essential part of my morning workout - and I would never go to the gym without it!). I scrambled upstairs to see if I left it on my charger - nope, it was gone.  I retraced my steps through the house, and I still couldn't locate it.  Crazy enough, I looked for it in the dishwasher - just to make sure I hadn't put it in there. (I had just started to run it - crazier things have happened!). Luckily, it was not in there.
I woke Bob up in a panic - I asked him to call my phone to see where it could possibly be.  I waited for my Apple Watch to pick up my phone, since it usually does - but it was not picking up.  Bob guy up with me and started looking for it, but he was also unsuccessful.  
Just at the moment that I almost gave up, I picked up my gym bag from the kitchen table, there it was - under my bag, with four missed phone calls from Bob!  I breathed a huge sigh of relief, thanked Bob for helping me, and headed off to the gym.  
Why do I tell you this story?  I share this with you to let you know - sometimes, things don't go as planned.  There are times in life where we are forgetful - and absent-minded.  When things like this happen, we have two choices: we can stew about it, get frustrated, and feel bad about it - or we can make the best of it, be proactive, and take it in stride.  There was a time when I would do the former - I would get mad about mistakes I would made, and in this case, I would skip my workout.  Today, I did the latter - I found my phone, packed my bag, and got my workout in - it wasn't as long as I would have liked, but something is better than nothing!  
Don’t focus so much on your plans – the Lord always has something better in store!

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: