Saturday, November 19, 2016

Mirror Images, Autumn of 2016


We worked on one of my favorite assignments in our classes last week. Back in October, one of our written memory verses was James 1:22-24:

"Do not merely listen to the word and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.''
We discussed the meaning and I brought up that Mom, in her late stages of Alzheimer's, did not recognize her own image. I told the kids that sometimes at the end of the day, I look at myself in the mirror, and don't always like what I see. The kids finished this statement: 'When I look in the mirror, I see....' Every student was allowed complete confidentiality and I did not even read any that requested privacy. My students were very honest. Over the next few nights, I'll run some of the responses of those who wanted to share.  Some will choke you up. All are used by permission. Boys are in blue and girls are in pink.

When I look in the mirror, I see a kid inside the body of a teen. I see someone who is frightened and scared to show who they really are. I see intelligence covered by the insults of stupidity. I see someone who is longing for love, but only finds dead ends. I see someone who is not willing to show their potential because of the unknowing consequences and expectations that may arise. I see someone who is scared and afraid to show it. I see a sinner.


When I look in the mirror, I see young man, striving to be great. I see a young man trying to make his mother happy. When I look in the mirror, I see a person who is afraid to fail, afraid to not stand out, afraid to not achieve. I see a sinner who is trying to get his life on the right road. I see a young man striving to avoid complacency. Most of all, I see a young man who has a great life, parents, and would not trade it for the world.


When I look in the mirror, I see physical and internal beauty that is shaped by the Creator. When I look in the mirror I see strength and perseverance. When I look in the mirror, I see the joy of God’s grace. When I look in the mirror, I see a young woman who is striving to be the best version of herself that she can be, and is not letting anyone stop her from going through the process.


When I look in the mirror, I see a person who always has to prove himself to others, even though he has a lot of success. I see a person whose family looks down on him even though he tries his best. I see a person who will overcome challenges. I see a person to whom God will say, good job my son. I see a person who will always strive to be the best even though people say that is not possible. I see a person who some day will walk into a building with people who hated and looked down on me, and they will stand up and give me applause. What I see in the mirror is me.


When I look into the mirror, I see a girl on the brink of womanhood, just hoping to find a place in the ever changing and deceiving world. I see a girl defined by who she wants to be, not what others think, yet still somewhere inside of her mind, she wants approval. At a glance, she may seem put together but upon further inspection, there are bandages and she keeping herself together. Most of what she believes she derives from logic and yet it is the illogical things that make the world a magical place. A reflection may be able to be analyzed but beyond the glass is a place of truth. With earbuds in her ears and black jeans, she yearns to live a life of love.


When I look into the mirror, I see a man who looks tired as always. But I also see fire inside his chest! When I look in the mirror, I see a young man who wants to escape from the current environment and have nothing to do with it! When I look in the mirror, I see a young man who wants to change his position but has no power to do so. When I look in the mirror, I see a man who asks for challenges on the outside, but feels fear to do new things inside. When I look in the mirror, I see a dull young man. He does not try to change, but he wants to. But one day, a small spark in my heart will start to burn, and burn the whole grassland. When I look in the mirror, I see fire in my eyes.


When I look at myself in the mirror, I see perfection. I see past my flaws on the outside because I know in the inside I’m the bomb. My attitude is explosive (in a good way). No mirror can show who I really am. It shows my unproportional eyes and the gaps in my teeth. I love everything about myself even if it’s flawed.

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com





No comments: