Friday, November 18, 2016

Ripped! But Not Off




Sometime between now and the new year, I will  undoubtedly make my way into my nearby Jos A Bank location. This entry, from Septermber 2, 2012, tells why.
I wore some new pants to worship services today but I didn't buy them. On Monday, as I was getting dressed for my second period Bible class after basketball practice, I stuck my right hand into the right side pocket of my Jos A Bank Traveler's Collection khaki pants to deposit my keys....... and a one inch long horizontal rip appeared out of the blue. None of my other trousers from this fine establishment have done this so I was shocked. I know Jos A Bank stands behind their merchandise so I went to their Meyerland location and as always, I sought out Silvia, my personal fashion guru. It was no problem swapping out my damaged slacks for a new pair. The store manager joked I must have busted some kind of great dance move to have them tear that way; my mother would have been horrified by that thought. It reminded me why I like to shop at Jos A Bank- they always make things right.

I wish life were always that easy. My car gets scraped, they give me a new car. My tie gets a stain, they give me a new tie. But there is one arena where it can be true and it's the most important arena. We're told in 1 John 1:7 that the blood of Jesus constantly washes away our sins when we are walking in the light, to keep our spiritual garments spotless, in a constant state of newness. The scriptures liken clothing to holiness on a number of levels and it only makes sense that we should strive to be outfitted like the saints. The theme of renewal from on high is a current winding through the scriptures as this well-known passage from my reading this morning attests:
 The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases, his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is thy faithfulness. 
(Lamentations 3:22-24)
Did you ever wonder what it would be like to be so rich you would only wear new clothes all the time? In Jesus, we can. No loose buttons, no worn out elbows, no faded colors, and no ripped khaki pants in our garments for the wedding feasts and banqueting tables. As for the return policy, we already know what it is with the Lord: Jesus told us He's coming back. That's the best guarantee ever written! 


Applicable quote of the day:
"The finest clothing made is a person's skin, but, of course, society demands something more than this."
Mark Twain


God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

1 comment:

Jessica Kramasz said...

Amen - We are clothed in the righteousness of Christ. Thank you for reminding us of the blessed truth.