Wednesday, November 02, 2016

Bedtime Blessings, 2016

Mom and Dad blessing Dave, left, and me.

We worked on one of my favorite memory verses in all five classes last week. All of my 90+ students wrote The Blessing Of Aaron for a grade as a memory verse and repeated it on their test. Found in Numbers 6:24-26, God commanded the first high priest of Israel to use these words to bless his chosen people:
"The Lord bless you and keep you;
the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you;
the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace."

We spoke of the human need for approval and how parents can have such an effect on the self-worth of their children. We talked of bedtime rituals and how moms and dads can make their kids feel important and ease their fears. I told them about how our folks tucked us in when we were small, prayed with us, and kissed us good-night. With that discussion as background, I gave each student a sheet of paper and had them pen a bedtime blessing to the child they will bring into the world in future years. The next several nights, I'll let some of them speak for me. Boys are in blue, girls in pink, and all are used with permission!

Dear Love,
Believe in God so you will never be alone. This life is not always a sweet memory but you must try to face the problems. God will never give you such struggles if he didn't believe in you. If you are in trouble, come to mom- I will always be with you. I am always here for you. And I am always the one supporting whatever you decide. The light will go out and darkness will cover you, but don’t be afraid because you are not alone. And promise me one thing: that you will never give up. Give me a kiss and have a sweet dream, my dear.
Aya, junior

Dear Sweet Child,
If you are ever in need and I’m not around, God will always be there to answer your questions or anything else you need. I will do my best to protect you and keep you safe. I know I am new at this parent thing, but just know that I’m trying and I love you.
Dominic , junior



My Dear Angels,
It is now time for us to part, but only for tonight. Even though I’m not with you now, God will always be there to protect and guide you. Do not be afraid of the dark because if you have faith, it will light up your world and keep you safe. I love you with all my heart and I can’t wait until I see your smiling faces in the morning.
Ally, junior

My Dear Beautiful Children,
I pray that as you sleep, your dreams are filled with peace, imagination, and love. Know that as you sleep, Daddy and I will always be there and if we’re not, God is there holding you in his arms. There may be darkness in the future, but if you stay on the path God wants for you, you’ll find that he is the light in any dark tunnel. I ask that the both of you keep each other safe and stay together as brother and sister and to not see each other as enemies. Mommy and Daddy love both of you til the end of our time and even then, we will still love you. Goodnight, my angels- Mommy and Daddy love you.
TaLora , junior

Goodnight my Child,
I’m not the best but I will try my hardest. I will care for you. I love you and God loves you. I will protect you and I will support you through your life. I will not stop loving you.
Dylan , 8th grade

My Child,
If you read this, I want you to be at peace and ease. This world is dark and scary but you are the light that will make the earth shine bright. I will be with you till it is time for you to go out in the world. May the Lord bless you and I hope you keep it in your heart that God will always love you. I love you and I will care for you. Be that dear little light, my angel.
Symonne, junior

Dear Child,
Your beautiful face pleases the Lord. I pray that he keeps you safe and gives you his grace and mercy so that you can become the best child of God that you can be. Know that mommy and daddy love you, but God loves you more. Goodnight ladybug.
Romanuel, 8th grade

My Little Precious Princess,
You are a blessing from God. The angels will always protect you throughout your life. I will pass on everything my mom taught me on being positive, spiritual, and living life through God’s eyes. You are here for a purpose and you will find out why God sent you here in this world. It’s not going to be easy, honey, but I will always be with you when you cry, laugh, scream, smile. It does not matter what kind of emotion you are feeling. Mommy will comfort you with endless love, because I love you with all my heart. You are worth more than gold. Always trust in God and give your heart to him, and I promise, he will show you many marvelous things! And, he will give you trials to test your faith, but he is always there to guide you. I will show you the beauty of God’s love and teach you the Bible. My angel of God, you make my heart beat with joy when I see you everyday.
Cristina , junior

God bless
Steve
Luke 18:1

No comments: