Friday, August 12, 2016

The Appointment (Trina Agee Cornell)


Tonight is the final entry from Trina Agee Cornell, a wonderful friend and sister in Christ. Trina wrote 24 devotionals for me to use during my mission to Vietnam and afterwards. I know they have been a blessing to you and they certainly have been to me- it takes time to get my mind back to writing. Thanks, Trina!
Last fall, I had an appointment that I could not miss. Earlier in the week, I scheduled an appointment with the Genius Bar at the Apple Store in West County.  The reason behind this occasion? My iPod.  Since Saturday of the previous week, I had not been able to get it to work. All my music was still there, with my playlists intact, but I could not get any songs to play.  It would act like it was playing, stay with the song for about 20 seconds, then move to the next song and do the same thing!  
This became a unique imposition for my workouts since Saturday - I have a specific mix that I listen to called "Good Morning Part II". This mix is eight hours of my very favorite Christian music, old and new.  This mix has been a tremendous encouragement to me each morning - it fills my mind with positive messages and gets my day started right.  It has also helped me focus for the day - remembering who I am and Whose I am.  Thus you can see my imposition!  The gym I attend has an endless loop on their Sirius Radio of Pop 2K - popular songs from the 2000s to now.  Granted, I have lots of what they play on my iPod - and I listen to it often - but it's just not the same as my "Good Morning" mix. Sure, it brings back greatest memories, but it does very little to help me focus. I worked out under these conditions for three days before my appointment with the Genius Bar - and it was so completely awkward.  
I arrived in time for my appointment and parked myself at a table full of Apple Watches, waiting for my tech to arrive.  I had my iPod and laptop in to, just in case I needed it.  I let the tech take a look at my iPod, and he was just as confused as me!  He had never seen an iPod act that way before!  Granted, I have the 160-gig Classic iPod - click wheel and all!  He punched all the info in for my device - and found out that my iPod was six years old!  He commended me for this - he said he had not seen any iPod that old last as long as mine. (It's called "taking care if it"!). 
He tried hooking the iPod up to three of their computers, and they would not read it.  Luckily I brought my own computer - the goal was to set it back to factory standards and re-sync it to my computer.  First attempt was a failure, but the second was successful.  I let my iPod sync to my computer all the way home and overnight.
I disconnected my iPod from my computer Thursday morning, and lo and behold, it worked!  I was absolutely thrilled!  I got my Thursday morning workout in, and everything was right again!  I picked up with my "Good Morning" mix, and it made all the difference!  
It's amazing how you things change when something is missing.  I have had this playlist on my iPod for years - I have added to it over a long period of time - it is a compilation of my all time favorite artists.  Doing without it for three days was different - and not a really good different.  It took wiping the slate clean - resetting my iPod to factory standards - to get it back up and running again.  It did its job for the six years previous, but once this problem was detected, resetting it was the only thing that could be done.  
Sometimes we need our own reset – and the Lord provides this for us.  Each new day we are given is a gift – and with each new day comes a choice,  We have the power to determine how we spend our day – through the decisions we make and the actions we take.  David had the right idea – in the book of Psalms, he reminds us that “this is the day that the Lord has made – I will rejoice and be glad in it.”  We are not promised tomorrow – today is all you have.  Thank the Lord for this day – and live it for Him.

No comments: