Thursday, August 04, 2016

A Little Renovation (Trina Agee Cornell)


Once again, my devotional is by my good friend and sister in Christ, Trina Agee Cornell! Pray for me as I readjust to life back in the US!
Bob and I always love visiting Nashville and spending time with our family.  We usually crash at my parents' house - in my old room at that - and enjoy the quality time we get to spend with them.  
Our family has lived in our current house since 1998 - 18 years this year, in fact.  I remember visiting the house for the first time with my family, *NSYNC's first album in my portable CD player, checking everything out.  Although I only spent my high school years, college summers, and my fourth year of teaching there, it is the place I call home - because of the people that fill it when we visit.  
My parents have made several changes to our house over the years - just this past year, they had a beautiful pavilion built in the backyard, complete with a working fire place and chimney.  They also had a fountain put out there too - at first, when they told me this, I envisioned a three-tier, water shooting out of the top, fancy looking deal.  Boy, was I wrong!  It's more like a babbling brook - complete with rocks, greenery, and soon, a few fish.  We have spent many a fall and spring evening out there, sitting around the fire, listening to music, and just being together.  
On our last trip home, my mom shared her plans to completely redo her kitchen - when we first bought the house, we had green countertops and fruity wallpaper.  That portion has already been updated - now, they are looking at different cabinets, new appliances, new range top - everything!  It will look completely different once it's all finished!
After 18 years in one place, it makes sense to start the renovation process.  Things get old and outdated - appliances run down and stop working - and change is a must.  If we go through this process with the places we live, how much more important is it that we do this with ourselves? We are creatures of habit - we get set in our ways and routines and resist the changes we need to make. 
Paul, in his letter to the Roman church, encourages the people to be different.  In chapter 12 verse 2, Paul says, “do not copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.”  As children of God, we are to be different – we are to be in this world – not of this world.  Allowing the Lord to renew us daily provides us with inward transformation – that should show on the outside to all we meet. 

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: