Wednesday, August 03, 2016

A Little Forgetful (Trina Agee Cornell)


I am back from Vietnam! I was blessed that my good friend, Trina, wrote 24 (!) devotionals for me so I will be using the ones you have not seen spread out as I adjust back to the US. Thanks for prayer!
Bob and I had the unique opportunity to visit the great state of Arkansas over our spring break.  I spent my college years and three years of my teaching career in the Natural State - my time here has had a significant impact on my life in more ways than one.  We love retracing my steps back to Harding - back to Jonesboro - back to where it all started.  
We went out to lunch with a dear friend of mine on Saturday - we decided to give McAllister's Deli a try.  The cashier called us up to the counter, and we started to place our order.  I could not help but notice the cashier herself - she looked incredibly familiars, but I could not place her right away.  Just a few seconds later, it was obvious.  After everyone finished placing their orders, I asked her, "Is your name Lexi?"  This elicited an immediate response - "I was wondering if you would recognize me, Miss Agee!"  It was the neatest thing - she had been one of my students during my first year teaching in Jonesboro!  It just goes to show - when you go back to a place you considered "home" for such a long time, you're bound to see people you recognize!
I have been a teacher for almost ten years - in this almost-decade, I have taught several hundred children in three different states!  I was always good with names - but faces can be a challenge sometimes!  Recognition of former students can take some time - but I eventually get there!  
Some of you may be better at remembering faces than I am - the blessing comes when recognition occurs and a connection is made.  Sometimes, unfortunately, we are not so good at recognizing things within ourselves.  We get into our own routines - follow the same patterns - and before too long, we get stuck in a rut.  We follow the same procedures over and over - expecting different results, but seeing no change.  
James mentions this phenomenon in chapter one of his book.  Verses 23-24 say, “For if you listen to the word and don't obey, it is like glancing at your face in a mirror. You see yourself, walk away, and forget what you look like.”  If we know what we should do – and we do not do it – it’s like forgetting what you look like. In the “selfie” age in which we live, that seems hard to do, doesn’t it?  We know what the Bible says – we know what we should do – and as His children, we must obey.  There are things in this life that we will not forget, and our reflections – and the Word of God – should be on that list.

God bless, Steve Luke 18:1
www.hawleybooks.com E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: