Saturday, July 30, 2016

Please Forgive Me! (Trina Cornell)


Powerful entry tonight from Trina Agee Cornell! Prayers as my mission in Vietnam comes to a close!

Forgiveness - a word that holds tremendous power - and so much love. Forgiveness is defined as, "the intentional and voluntary process by which a victim undergoes a change in feelings and attitude regarding an offense, lets go of negative emotions such as vengefulness, with an increased ability to wish the offender well".  We have all been wronged at different times in our lives - unintentionally and intentionally, whatever the case may be.  The human response is to be angry, hold grudges, and feel negatively about the other person.  Forgiveness is not an easy task, but for peace of mind - and rightness with the Lord - it is a necessity.  
The Lord asks us to forgive - because He has forgiven us. Our human nature causes us to sin - to make mistakes - on a daily basis.  Without the Lord's forgiveness, we are doomed in our sins.  Matthew 6:14-15 says, "For if you forgive men who sin against you, your Heavenly Father will also forgive you.  But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins".  Life is not fair - we will be treated unfairly - but forgiveness gives you the power to release everything to the Lord, placing it in His hands.
I recently experienced this in the most unusual of ways.  Months ago, I was treated quite rudely by someone I did not know; I was yelled at and belittled in the worst way.  I did not respond in this situation - I merely walked away.  After much prayer, I let it all go and forgave this person in my heart.  Fast forward to recently - this person approached me out of the blue and apologized for the actions taken against me.  I was blindsided at first, but completely blessed afterward.  The Lord brought everything full circle and showed me, through this, His faithfulness and His power to heal.
Not only are we called to forgive others, we are also called to forgive ourselves. We can be our own worst enemies - we do things in this life that we are not proud of and hold them against ourselves.  Just as we are to do for others, the Lord calls us to practice forgiveness within.  I know I have made mistakes in this life – but I know the Lord is just to forgive.  He knows me – He sees my terrible flaws – and He loves me nonetheless.  Thank you, Lord, for the blessing of forgiveness!
God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: