Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Compare And Contrast (Trina Agee Cornell)


Another wonderful entry by Trina Cornell! Keep praying for me in Vietnam, please!
I have taught numerous subjects in my nine years of teaching, but the one I have taught most frequently is English/language arts.  The English language fascinates me - it incorporates everything from reading and writing - to comprehension, grammar, usage and mechanics.  I love it all - English helps us to express our thoughts and ideas in creative ways - people know us by what we say and what we do.
One of the skills I taught my students involves compare and contrast.  We worked on analyzing similarities and differences of various topics, ideas, and images.  My students need to know how to do this effectively to become critical thinkers, problem solvers, and analysts.
Comparison can have a positive connotation, but it can also be quite negative.  I see it everyday - middle schoolers striving to fit in, to find their style, and find their "place" in the world.  The detriment of social media furthers this insecurity as they - and we - compare our lives to the lives of others.  It is a vicious cycle that often leaves people sad and depressed, fearing that their own lives do not measure up.  
The Lord speaks to this phenomenon of comparison and tells us how to ha doe it.  Romans 12:2 says, "Do not conform to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect".  He calls us to not get caught up in the comparison game - we as Christians are already different from the world itself.  He wants us to look to Him and His word for the ultimate comparison - as a child of God.
God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: