Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Yen


I'm missing  this young lady this summer! This is from August 2, 2012. 
This is Yen. She is twenty and a college student in Can Tho, Vietnam. She is also the sister of Dat, the little boy I wrote about last night. Yen lives in the former church building with a number of church members, most of whom are her relatives. Over the past two summers, I have come to appreciate her great spirit of service to others, and particularly to me. She is the kind of person who  not only wants to help, she is honored to have the opportunity. I wish I was like that more. When we had our nightly Bible study in English, covering the latter part of Luke and the early chapters of Acts, she would diligently prepare. I made copies of that night's lesson from biblegateway.com and she would break it down word by word. She would come and talk to me about scriptures she did not understand, a characteristic of her seeking heart. When it was time for me to return home, I first had to travel from Can Tho to Saigon to catch my flight. As it would be difficult for me to make that trip by myself due to language issues, she accompanied me on the three-and-half hour bus trip. Yen neglected to tell me she gets sick riding the bus and before it was over, she was throwing up into a plastic bag. And yet, her concern was for me, my comfort and safety. In John 13:35, Jesus said, 
" By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” 
Based on the words of the Savior, it's pretty easy to identify Yen as a disciple.

Applicable quote of the day:
"A servant of God has but one Master. It ill becomes the servant to seek to be rich, and great, and honored in that world where his Lord was poor and despised."
George Muller


God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: