Sunday, March 20, 2016

Richard And The Good Samaritan


If you are current with my devotionals, you know recently I've posted the fictional re-telling of the Parable of the Good Samaritan, an annual assignment in all of my classes. The young man skydiving in the shot above is Richard McDonald, a 2011 graduate of WCS. Let me tell you a little about Richard. Very bright with an intelligent sense of humor, Richard is one of my favorite students ever. A very talented skate boarder, Richard is compassionate and thought on a much deeper level than most high school kids. (His incredible sister, Beverly, is one of my favorite student teacher's aides ever. She used to have me bring my clothes to school and she'd iron them, and worked with in learning Spanish!) Both Richard and Beverly participated in the Good Samaritan homework referenced above. Yesterday, I saw something on his Facebook post about a tough situation which happened to him but made more tolerable by a stranger reaching out to him in a time of need. Richard graciously allowed me to reprint his words on my site. Here they are, complete with the picture he included! I pray we will listen to his admonition.


Hi gang! Quick story I wanted to share.
Earlier this week my car was broken into and I got robbed of all my belongings on the inside. My backpack, my electronics, my class notes, and even my lunch box were all taken. This absolutely sucked and I immediately got angry and frustrated at the scum who feel they need to commit robbery to get what they want. But after an hour of waiting next to my shattered glass for the police to arrive, a kind stranger passed by who saw me struggling. He saw my situation and felt compelled to help, offering encouragement, advice, and even a snack to tide me over while I filed the police report. I hadn't eaten in hours and he gave me the energy to keep going. He was awesome and put a smile on my face despite the situation I had found myself in.
My faith in people had been broken and repaired all in the same night, and all it took was a random act of kindness from a stranger. Although I never got his name, I'd like to recognize this man and thank him for his help. You're an unsung hero.
I hope you guys go out and do the same for someone else. Be safe and have fun, everyone!

Applicable quote of the day:
The purpose of human life is to serve, and to show compassion and the will to help others. 

Albert Schweitzer

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: